+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Hybrid View

All right!

I took your advice and bought one smaller Ryobi set, and my first impression is good - they seem handy and sturdy and designed with a lot of attention to detail. I got the $129 set at Home Depot that includes the 4 tools: drill, circular saw, detail sander and light. It comes with the charger, 2 batteries and bag. Now my fingers really start to itch!

Thanks for the advice about the sanding. Sure I get an orbital sander. Two dozen discs??? Sounds like I'll be sanding the whole day long! I've never done this at all and so have no idea how long ittakes. How can you tell if you sanded a spot enough? I would guess when it doesn't shine anymore?

I won't likely do this this weekend since the boat is outside and it's expected to rain a lot. But I'll attempt the repair on the deep dings and gouges I showed you guys in my other post. I read up on your posts about the use of poly vs. epoxy and am a little surprised that it's not a clear thing - well, not really. I start realizing that there are many ways to do the same in boating, and that's part of the fun. As somebody said in another post - if it doesn't work out, just grind it/sand it away and try again!

I got my Porter Cable 5 " RO Sander here. About $100 with shipping to Maine. The reconditioned version has the same warranty as a new one. I got 2 packs (25ea) of 60, 80, 120 and 180 of 5" Adhesive-Back Clog-Resistant Alum Oxide Discs - another $100+ . I won't be buying sanding disks for a looooong time - hopefully. In a few months I should be able to pass on what worked and what didn't.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Smile Sanding disks

A disk might last 10 minutes before it is counter productive to keep using it .
    They don't go bad and you will need them later or inside or topside etc.
    You are looking to get an even surface , dull with no marks.
    Keep the sander flat and don't push down on the sander , if you have to push against the hull and hear a major change in rpm's ,the paper is dull and needs changing .
    Tipping the sander wears out the pad that holds the disk in place , been there done that .
    I get 25 disks for $5 so don't be cheap , you are wasting time, not saving paper.

Thanks for the tips Mike!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    You dont need many tools for boat work.

You want a drill and electric RO sander. Working inside its good to have a little ShopVac and a light.

Sometimes you have to do heavy stripping and grinding in preperation for new glasswork. A sander will do it, but it takes time. This is not a job you want to linger over. I prefer an angle grinder with sanding attachments. They have a rubber pad attachment that takes hook & loop pads. Even with higher grits its very ferocious and must be handled with care.

You cant reach tight spots like corners with a sander or grinder. I use attachments for a drill like wire brushes, grinding stones and the like.

Most projects can be accomplished with just these few tools.

Cutting tools are only needed if you're going to cut into the boat or work with wood. Other specialty jobs may require special tools.

But, for the most part, boat work is grunt work.

Talking Grinders

With or without cheeze?

I agree Pete, I have 3 grinders and they must be used with extreme care and the lightest touch .You can do some serious damage with a 40 grit disk on a 5" grinder in seconds ! Lots of big swirlies !

Thumbs up rite thru the hull

these grinders turn around 10,000- rpm---I bet they can be used to power the boat in a pinch--jus' hook it up where the power head to a small outboard was--using a generator for power----I got this idea whilst driftin in nowheresville---I had a yamaha generator---a small electric drill---and the shaft from the sea generator----anything wooda' been bettern' nuttin.necessity is the "muther of all inventions"

I keep a complete tool box onboard

I try to get the best quality at the cheapest prices, so when they go overboard I don't feel the urge to dive in after them! I've gotten some real good hand tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers) at Big Lots. When I sail, I harbor hop in Lake Huron and most marinas do not have the services to repair anything. So I believe in the self-sufficiency. And since I have an inboard 2-cylinder diesel, I have a few more tools specific to keep it running well.

Keep everything in a plastic toolbox that is just wide enough to fit into the side laserette.
    Too Contagious (1966 Ariel #392)

+ Reply to Thread