+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

Good Job!

Looking good! You won't regret all of this work once she's done, keep it up! It is a big help to see those pictures as I plan my future recore sometime over the next couple years. Those chainplates look great, where did you get them? How much?

Chain PLates we're NOS (new old stock) Shafer their 1-1/8 series, I paid far less then I imagine the can be bought wholesale ($45 a piece), As you can see from the pictures leaving the whole thing it's overpowering, the various shots at different heights is tring to decide where to have them cut, we decided to have them cut to leave 3 holes, it's looked the best as far as aspect ratio (Height Weight Proportioate) and it didnt distract from the over all appearence. We should have them back this weekend, the fore most will be shuffled back behind the existing knee, to even out the spacing.
    #97 "Absum!"

Hats off 3rdman! Well done!

Tim, you might try http://www.onlinemetals.com/ - I haven't used them so I can't make recommendations one way or the other...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Ahhh the finnikiness of Paint~

I'll take some pictures this evening of the deck, tonite we spray the hull and I have a suprise, the top sides will not be Matterhorn White.

The bad news, the decks have to be resanded and repainted, and if anyone needs some window dressings, we have enough for a glass house or two, and the formation was odd as I have seen before if it was going to sag it did so pretty soon within a few min, these didnt sag out till we got around the boat and looked back over, the only thing I can think of is the cabin top has the graduated radius over the windows, and the paint took a while to sage off the and then snow balled down the sides. But damn it looks nice hopefull the paintfumes don't impair my memmory and I'll get you all some photos late tonite.

(yes we use a respariator, awl grip w/ no mask is a bad idea, even awlgrip with out a pos press face shield isn't right.)
    #97 "Absum!"

Onlinemetals OK

Online Metals, Good Outfit, pack their product well for shipping.
    Small quantities is a very good thing for me/us! You do pay a premium, but where else can you buy one linear foot of 6061 aluminum pipe like I just did? Usually have to buy 20' - or more!

I've been putting together a project in aluminum. They don't seem to have a full range of sizes in 6061, like channel under 3" wide, for instance. So it's still a game for sure. They seem to be reputable, imco.

It's always a crapshoot if you buy salvage, and if you care enuf to have the very best: the 6061 at least is marked as such. And some 316L annealed bar I ordered came die-straight from OnlineMetals which it did NOT from McMasterCarr.

It pays to have a conversation with your order-taker as to exactly what you expect.

By the way, if you need some material (or maybe ANYTHING) that you can't locate, give McmasterCarr a ring. They do special orders, they are an absolutely HUGE HARDWARE SOURCE, The order takers have been consistently friendly and have offered, in the past, to find stuff for me.
    M'Carr will have your stuff at your door next day! Never had a B.O. - but they sometimes have to ship from somewhere else in the Country. Onlinemetals takes a day or two longer.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-30-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Here's project "recore" nearing the end . . .

#97 "Absum!"

Paul, I'm very jealous of your beautiful hot-rod red paint job! Someday in the future when Lucky Dawg needs paint, Bonnie Jean may have a red twin. Paint is finnicky as you say. Huge job. Nice work.

Nearly final, non-skid tommorrow, and hardware all weekend.

#97 "Absum!"

excellent boot stripe.. your local race committee will probably take 6 seconds a mile off your handicap!

Hey Dawg

What lake is she going to be in ??

Golly!

MOST-SUM!

Ditto on that boot stripe! She's really coming together nicely. Well done!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Absumlutely!

Stunning

emmm aaaazing, yea..
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    What lake is she going to be in ??
    LAKE??

Chesapeake Bay, off the susquehanna river.

Thanks for the compliments guys, hopefully soon it's splash day, soon to come is still the chain plates.
    #97 "Absum!"

+ Reply to Thread