+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

I'm contemplating using a set of ensign chainplates $21 each: http://www.ensignspars.com/parts

from the description they sound very close to the right size, Might have to re-drill the hole for the clevis pin from its' current 5/16" to 3/8"

I've traded a couple of emails with Zeke Durica at ensign spars.

His ensign chainplates are to use his description, "1"X 1/8" thick X 10" long. They are 5/ 16 hole on the top and 3 3/8"s holes at the bottom up 3/4 inch 2 3/4 and 4 3/4."

I haven't been near the boat yet to compare these dimensions.

You might check out D&R Marine in MA. I got some ODay parts from them years ago, and if I recall Rudy, the owner's name, also sells Pearson parts...

PS. Those new Ensigns are sweet!
    Last edited by mbd; 03-22-2007 at 06:03 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    There are pros and cons to external chainplates (like anything else).

But, you won't be saving yourself any work. You still need to glass in some sturdy attachment points for the external chainplates.

Are all 4 knees and both bulkheads bad? If not, I think it would be easier to replace what you have to.

Well the weather hasn't been coopertive, so here's what I have so far

The Nightmare begins, step one, Grind out the gallon of Epoxy the PO had poured between the skins, (see the piles of snow, empoxy powders) It's a good thing the marina owner wasn't in town this operations was far from dustless.

The other 3 pictures in this post show the ground out epoxy, the Port core, and the dry fit of the Stbd core.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 04-15-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    #97 "Absum!"

From left to right:

Piss poor vac, too mank leaks, we ended up "borrowing some lead weights from the marina to press the core into place.

Port removed and ground core, ready for the new stuff.

Picture of the new core bed in place

Picture looking aft of the Port side ready for core

Bow - aft of the work in progress.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 04-15-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    #97 "Absum!"

Again Left to Right:

Stbd - the belt sander was a wonderfull tool for a nice leveled and contoured core, very satisfied with the outcome.

Port - By now I'm a belt saning semi pro, and this side is much better then the other both are acceptable, the depressions you can see are where there will be stanchions, later you can see where I removed the core entirely and replaced it with thickened epoxy and left it depressed and will add additional layers of glass.

Next 2 : Looking aft Both sides.

Me filling the gaps, left intentionally, with thickened epoxy, thought process bein if the core would go bad again the gaps fille would be a barrier to keep the intrusion from migrating.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 04-15-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    #97 "Absum!"

Port side filled, you can see the stanchon beds here, you can also tell that my wife fit this core the gaps are less and the core fits better, good and bad depends on how you look at it.

Stbd still filling, wife snapping shots.

Next two, the wife is working on the topsides, sand sand sand . . .

Last one, nearly ready for glass, Word to the wise, seal the damn stuff! We laid glass over some of the core that didnt have epoxy sealing it, the sun finally came out and so did the expanded air from the core, now we have to sand all the bubbles out of the glass.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 04-15-2007 at 03:34 PM.
    #97 "Absum!"

Thanks for sharing thoughts and posting pics ...will be a great help to many.Looking good !! Keep the faith

Thumbs up You will not reget

You will not reget having done this job right. I can speak as one who has followed an incomplete re-core... it is no fun. You are wise to have replaced the whole thing in one shot.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    A monumental effort. Well done.

You should get a promotion to tha2ndman, at least

Can't be promoted, 2nd would make me part of the conversation . . . The name comes from a job I did in the military, where we we're the third party in a whole host of conversations, third party being the one's not invited, the listeners.
    #97 "Absum!"

Wow, what a ton of work, and nicely done.

If there is TO BE no promotion, then you should at least be listening 3rd party to the popping and fizzing tiny bubbles of a cold brew while feeling "PHEW!!!", after all that...
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

I've been slacking on my picture posting, but not so much on the picture taking, I'm not going to comment every picture, if you have a question ask away.

#97 "Absum!"

Holy Moley! This is the humbling skill set I was talking about. Paul, you and your wife are studs! Can you taste her splash date??

Splash date . . . depends on the boss, if I can sweet talk him into some paint shop time sooner then later, If not Roll and tipping the topssides and deck doesnt sound like alot of fun. That will be the limiting factor.

Skill set?? this is my first boat.
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 05-15-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    #97 "Absum!"

+ Reply to Thread