+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

here is the port settee main support which will divide 3 separate watertight lockers from side access open lockers

Here is the port settee/master birth with the 3 holes for 10" deckplates giving access to the watertight compartments and the other half... the 12" dia rounded cutout is the weirdness necessary to have a large 'stove' drawer slide out from under the galley countertop. If you are wondering if the bunk is a little short, I havent cut the hole through the main bulkhead for a foot well. I haven decided on a final shape...
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.

The 'stove' drawer has to slide out 13-14" to allow the stove to gimball correctly which is what you see here. oh, man the pros and cons! having a clean slate is really pretty cool, however the shear amount of different design criteria makes me woozy. So, the biggest negative here is that in order to have the port settee convert into a large double bunk the sides have to flip up, however since there is this really odd shaped piece missing I cant just make a flip up. instead I think i am going to make a single large L-shaped piece that will detach and get stowed on the ceiling of aft bunk (underside of the cockpit seat).
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.

view of the companion way stairs, less stairs. also, on the left is a mock up piece for the aft bunk. this bunk will extend all the way back to the lazerette, however the flat portion will be about 2/3. Once I get my hands on a small opening port I am going to mount this facing the cockpit to allow better ventilation and light into the aft berth.
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-23-2013 at 02:43 PM.

some more holes... does anyone have this many holes in their stern? I had two that were not even being used. Originally I didnt want to touch the topsides, but I couldnt resist. Plus I figure I can 'roll & tip' the stern and no one will be the wiser.

btw, how do I go about paint matching this?

The large hole on the bottom was where the exhaust was ported. It had huge globs of thickened epoxy, but i can tell that this was not the original exhaust port as there was no additional glass

Great update!! Lookin good...very creative and inspiring!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carbonsoup View Post
    how do I go about paint matching this?
    The PO - "tha3rdman" - mentioned Awlgrip Matterhorn White for the decks earlier in the thread. I'd think he probably used the same paint manufacturer on the hull.

Personally, I've always thought a wooden overlay on our Alberg transoms would look really nice:

It worked for Jimmy Buffet.
    Name:  transom01.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  48.1 KB

More to scale.
    Name:  transom02.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  63.1 KB

Or, if you want to get really fancy.
    Name:  transom03.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  15.2 KB

(I thought I had a pic of a CD22 but can't find it.)
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Personally, I've always thought a wooden overlay on our Alberg transoms would look really nice:
    ooo. nice, hadnt thought of that, but im not sure a wood stern would go that well with fire engine red. maybe some day if i repaint the topsides.

as far as the color is concerned I guess I could call the little boatyard in Havre de Grace, they may have someone that might know.

well, there is 2 inches of standing water on the lawn (swamp) due to the latest, and hopefully last, winter storm here in MD, so I thought I might post some questions... i have completed the cabinetry of the galley, port settee and the stbd settee base. I stopped after glassing in the stbd settee base as I am not sure as to how the attack raised portion with the sink, shelving, storage and swing out table. I am going to pick up some materials this afternoon so i might have a better idea tomorrow.

Anyway, i moved forward into the v-berth area and had some questions, particularly about a marine head. I was not sure about wether or not I was even going to attempt plumbing a toilet... but alas as I started to kick around layout ideas I felt that I could make it happen. So, the question I have is: is the possible location for a holding tank (seen below) make sense? and what is a an acceptable minimum size? and should I make a box or can I just glass a holding tank in place, directly attached to the hull?

What you will see below is a piece of template ply with a 12"dia round on the side closest to the door frame extending to the port side hull. If you were to extend the lines of this shape straight down you would see what I am thinking for a holding tank. I would guesstimate being around 5 gal. The top surface of the holding tank would be the footwell for the main salon double birth. The toilet will be just forward of the holding tank, mounted on a pedestal, positioned as close to the port hull surface as acceptable.

Last edited by carbonsoup; 03-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.

You will also notice the single birth mocked up on the stbd side. Its pretty high up and I was thinking of having the top hinged at the hull intersection to allow top access. Being as deep as it is it should allow for storage of some pretty bulky items... a sail locker?
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 03-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Not exactly sure what is going to happen on the port side of the v-birth area, however I do know that the 31 gal Vetus flexible water tank is going to go where the rusted out OEM water tank was located. The increased size of the tank is going to make the cabinet containing it extend from the forepeak bulkhead to the pedestal base of the original marine toilet location. We will see how the tank and the seacocks like this arrangement...

Last edited by carbonsoup; 03-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread