+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

Quote Originally Posted by Commander 147 View Post
    You must be a young man because you are going at this with the zeal of a young man. Lot of progress and looking good so far. I will enjoy watching the boat take shape so please keep posting.
    Young, but no spring chicken, ive been around the block. however, I am on sabbatical of sorts, actually, I am caregiving for my mom who had a stroke last year. She is doing great, so good in fact she has been in florida for the past two weeks, which has allowed me to attack the interior with 'zeal'.

I would have to say that I am relishing both my mom's recovery and the time that I have been given to really sink my teeth into such an 'all encompassing' project.

speaking of zeal, i have been rereading your rebuild of Destiny and I have to say that zeal isnt everything. You have really upped the game with thoughtful design and craftsmanship. I have certainly been taking Que.

One particular modification that you have made, internal halyard masthead blocks, is one i am definitely interested. Once I get some headspace for this modification I will be in touch, most probably in April/may when I attack the mast and spars. One question that I did have; it would seem likely that the halyard could get caught over the top or to the side of the block, during squally weather which would most surely cut the halyard in quick order. Had you considered a SS 'chock' welded on and bridging the entryway for the halyard? I admit this could add leverage of a twisted halyard to bend the entire assembly causing more serious problems...

I posted this question on Destiny's thread

I responded to your question in Destiny's thread.

It is really nice when you can dedicate a block of time to something like this. I'm stuck with whatever weekend days I can get that other plans have not been made for. I also go out and work on Destiny a few hours 2 or 3 nights a week. So I just keep plugging away and would really like to have her back in the water by November when the Florida sailing season really kicks off. I will just have to spend as much time as possible and see if I can make it happen.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

update on the galley / main salon. a bit of 3/16" Luan ply makes for nice templating and mockups.
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 01-30-2013 at 07:03 AM.

I had originally had thought to extend the companion way stairs/galley to full depth of 24" and make the large round to make a tangent arc from the galley to the aft berth.. however, the 'steps' were too steep to descend into the salon, so I cut the arc back.... unfortunately, not enough. I plan to shave back even further to the black/cross hatched arc.

also, the kero optimus stove is going to be hung on a gimbal under the counter with an access on the side. The sink sits directly behind. I am going to make the stove and the sink cut out the same dims so I can make a cutting board to cover / slide over either unused item.

Last edited by carbonsoup; 01-30-2013 at 07:07 AM.

The companionway stairs are removable to gain access to the electmotor/batteries, however its also dry storage! most likely garbage in the back and other stuff in the front. In 3D design i had thought this unit would be sealed from the sides, but when i mocked it up I used strips of ply to make the large curves, it was then that I had a realization to bend strips with a gap in between to allow people to see what was contained inside... i know, not really that amazing, but I also realized that I can use the same idea with the ice chest.
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 01-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.

The ice chest is going to be top loading, rectangular with a large arc on the inboard side. The area under the arc will be easily accessible and the bent strip enclosure will match the companion way stairs. On the top of the arc is going to be a 2" SS pole going all the way to the cabin roof.

Last edited by carbonsoup; 01-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.

also, i received all my fiberglassing materials today so I should have some structural progress, i.e. main bulk head in the next couple days.

I love it! In post #156 you say "not really that amazing", I say fantastic. This will prove to be a great rebuild we will all be watching.
    My home has a keel.

Here's a link to a thread about building your own gimballed mount for an kerosene camp stove.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s.../37/tid/28935/

Looking forward to following your progress on your boat.

Port side compression post base lamination. ive been making some really odd shaped pieces, however finally this piece is not just a template. Anyway, since i moved the doorway over about 6 inches to port I realized that I needed a compression post base that would dissipate the load from going directly to the hull.
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Here you can see the lamination screwed, epoxied and finished. The whole time I was making this piece I kept shaking my head, thinking that this was complete 'amature hour', however once I got it dry fitted it seemed to work. After I ground/sanded and then epoxied the endgrain... im pretty happy. it sure is strong enough.

Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-19-2013 at 08:06 AM.

As you can see the center compression post is really doing all the work, what percentage I cant really say, but some where in 80% range. However, I was fortunate to have had a local wood worker mill down some fresh white oak for me so I had plenty to work with...

the burn marks on the compression posts and support beam is because Lowes' only had 2 1/2" SS screws, so I had to cut off about 1/8" that poked through. Lame. But, once I seal the bulkhead together with 1/4" ply no one is going to see
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-19-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel 109 View Post
    Here's a link to a thread about building your own gimballed mount for an kerosene camp stove.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s.../37/tid/28935/

Looking forward to following your progress on your boat.
    wow, very nice. actually, the whole boat surrounding that bit of steam punk bronze casting is pretty special. but, a bit too special for me. I am thinking of building one of James Baldwin's gimbaled stoves (http://atomvoyages.com/cys/atomstove.html), these are a little more functional, less form. Anyway, trying to encorporate this stove into the cabinetry is starting to make my head spin. If you look to post #155 you can see the little kerostove on the galley surface, but what I think i am going to have to do is make a stove 'drawer' that slides out from under the countertop. I think this area is posing the most design challenge for me as there are so many other uses for this area... access to the stove, access to the sink, access under the counter, other possible drawers for storage and then how all this collides with the port side settee seating.... and i really do mean collides, as there is not one extra inch of space in this little ship. ha!
    Last edited by carbonsoup; 02-10-2013 at 06:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread