+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

a Cape Dory with tan bark
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

I put out a few feelers to see the price difference, just a Geewiz thing.

First one back with a quote (dont kill me it's just a quote) is from "Far East Sails" (really far east Hong kong).

"Hi Paul,

We can offer you a wholesale discount of 35 percent off the below retail
    price. You can deduct that amount from our quotation. If you order 2 sails
    discount is 40 percent. "

So take 40% off prist listed below . . ok, I can do that . . .

"Our sails are
    > OFFSHORE OCEAN RATED and sail computer designed. The Retail
    > price is for sail lofts and other sail resellers.
    >
    >
    > Performance Mainsail Retail USD$984.00
    > 5.9oz Challenge Performance Sailcloth (less your discount)
    > 2 Reefs
    > 4 Standard Battens
    > Draft Stripe, Telltails, Triple Stitched
    > Sailbag
    > P=27' E=11.5'
    > Sail Area 162 ft2 - cross cut
    >
    > Same Sail in Tanbark Color Retail USD$1674.00
    > (less your discount) "

. . . Ouch nearly double but 40% off 1700 is 680 (1700-680=1020) not bad if the quality is there . .

"Performance 135 Genoa Retail USD$1188.00
    > 5.9oz Challenge Performance Sailcloth (less your discount)
    > Hank on
    > Draft Stripe, Telltails, Triple Stitched
    > Sailbag
    > I=31.50 J=11.5' LP=15.53'
    > Sail Area 245 ft2 - cross cut
    >
    > Same Sail in Tanbark Color Retail USD$2022.00
    > (less your discount) "

Wholey S*** 2000 for a genoa well (2000*.6=1200) $1200 i guess if you play their game.
    #97 "Absum!"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Those prices seem pretty good. I just got a quote for white sails from Quantum:

Cross Cut 2+2 Mainsail
    P: 27.00 FT E: 11.90 FT
    Sail Area: 191.2 FT2
    Construction: Computer designed and cut cross cut construction using Challenge
    5.93 HMW (100%)
    Includes: Handsewn luff and foot hardware, leech cord with a cleat, telltales,
    sail ties, sail bag, 2 full, 2 mid Battens
    Notes: Commander logo and #200 in black
    Base Price: $1,636.00
    Options:
    Reefs (2) $144.00
    Battens (Flat Stock) $122.00
    Sub Total: $1,901.00
    10.000% Discount: - $190.00
    Total Price*: $1,711.00

135% Cross-Cut Furling Genoa
    I: 31.50 FT J: 9.50 FT LP: 135%
    Sail Area: 194.1 FT2
    Construction: Computer designed and cut cross cut construction using Challenge
    5.93 HMW (100%)
    Includes: Appropriate luff attachment, leech cord with a cleat, telltales, sail bag
    Notes:
    Base Price: $1,121.00
    Options:
    Acrylic UV Cover (1) $286.00
    Sub Total: $1,407.00
    10.000% Discount: - $141.00
    Total Price*: $1,266.00
    * Sales Tax Not Included

I might just let my sails get old and yellow
    Attached Images  

Since were talking astetics, and maybe I had seen it on here somewhere what about doing a nice tan "Alumi-Grip" on the mast and boom think that would give the look of spruce?
    #97 "Absum!"

When I bought new sails for Hull #3 (and now in NC), they were about $900 each (approx the same price as the Hong Kong quote up there). I got them from Scott Sails when they were still in Annapolis. They have since moved to Southern VA. I don't know if their prices have changed since.

They also have what seems to be a thriving online business through Ebay.
    Here is an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...temZ4632681186
    or type in item #4632681186
    They also do Jibs and Asyms that way.
    - my 2cents -

(no longer owner of #3, but can't figure out how to change the signature...)
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

NOt much new lately, just been to hot, and my dad getting married to this dighy broad . . anyhow, with the heat I have been pondering a cooling solution while docked, with the abundance of inexpensive Air conditioners, I figured I would give a little 5k Btu unit a shot.

I really wanted to mount it high and drain the condesade into the sink or cockpit drain. Sadly I needed anouther 1/2-3/4 of an inch to mount is under the Electric box (port side) the duct in the headlinder for the power lines fouled up that. The only other option to mount high was to rip out the fridge, and i'm not ready to make that venture yet, maybe in the winter if the unit does the job. So under the fridge it goes. Still needs some sealing done.

Any ideas on converting it to a water cooled unit?
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

From the back, It gets hot but i havent found any more heat then something that has sat in the sun, and though uncomfortable I can hold my hand on indefenatly.

Here aging if it works well, I'll fillet and make the brace more permanet, I will have to ratchet strap it down before, we go out this weekend.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Another addition is a new depth sounder. The old one varied wildly, it couldn't make up it's mind if we were in 30 feet of water or 3', then it would just give up and show blank screen. (was old from the 80's)

Here's the cup for the in-hull puck. Under the Stbd Bunk, against the bulkhead.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

The garmin box.

In the hangin locker, up out of the way, didnt want to put it under the bunk.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Well spring break is a week and a half away, All the materials for the deck are in, 3 gallons of epoxy from epoxy products, various thickeners, 12 inch biax tape, vac bag and breather stuff, and the balsa core. Lets hope the weather holds out and gives me a decent week.
    #97 "Absum!"

Bonzai! Good luck with the recore, and don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures and pointers!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

It has begun, yesterday something else has been added to my already laundry list of things to do, a glance at the bottom job ahead and I, we rather my wife noticed little bumps, i picked a little at them and they have a brown sap inside of them . . . blisters, I drilled the keel in a few places and was happy to find no water, well close to none, a wee bit a sepage. I also cut into the Stbd decks to give them a chance to air out, and took the PO's name in the utmost vain numerous times, it seams in a previous attempt to harden the deck they cut her open and scooped out the bad stuff, then refilled the void with straight epoxy . . . looks like I get to get real friendly witht the belt sander. I know I know pictures pictures I promise I'll take the camera down tommorrow, but the posting of said pictures will have to wait till i get a replacement desktop computer, but it's comming down to barrier coat of computer.
    #97 "Absum!"

Aiee! Solid "coring"? Yuck. That is one PO that deserves the names and cuss words...

Grinding that will be no fun - can you beg/borrow/steal an pneumatic grinder? With a very coarse grit disc, it'll go way faster than a belt sander (tho' it'll still be messy). Might want to try a paint scraper, tapped with a hammer, to see if you can separate that "core" from the bottom skin. You might get lucky, and they did a slack enough job that there is a weak or improper bond that you can exploit.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that that is the case!
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Thanks for the thought, I have a electric 8" I'll stop and get a pad for it while I'm picking up the 60 grit paper for the wife.
    #97 "Absum!"

Well I got the solid core out, and gooped the edges, tommorrow I hope to put the first batch of core inplace.

As a side note, the knees for the chain plates are soft in the middle, like a twinkie of sorts, I'm thinking about externals, and the marina has a set of 6 matching NOS at 58 a piece, heafty stock 1/4" thick, maybe 1.5" wide, 10-12 long. Overkill yes but any places that can get something sufficient cheaper?
    #97 "Absum!"

+ Reply to Thread