+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

1963 Ariel

Posted at the end of another thread, figured I'd introduce my self. My name is Paul and I recently went looking for a boat to float around in with my little family. The yacht yard showed me a few and one was this 1963 Pearson Ariel at first 6,000 was more then i really wanted to spend more looking for something that needed a bit of elbow grease. However after talking it over with my wife we decided it was a pretty good match. All she really needs is a bottom job, and a cleaning.

One thing I would like to ask you all is is she worth 6,000 here is a link to the dealers site. link to her ad also how do I find out what hull number she is?

Any anyother advise, before they put her in?

Paul

advise.....sure:

Buy mine instead!

All the same stuff, but with 2003 vintage sails, all electrical new in 2003, and the bottom was recently redone, and doen't even need to be repainted this year, just splash it!

Only diff: new-ish 9.9 hp outboard instead of the A-4 (read: easy maintenace)

See the details in:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1185
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Paul, welcome. The hull number should be on a plaque in the cockpit.

I was going to mention Keith's boat too. He has done a lot of work and improvements on his boat, $ails co$t $$, and his boat was in the water being sailed just last year - with his baby on board! (Disclaimer: I only know him from the board - no affiliation otherwise.)

Also, I'd recommend getting it surveyed before you buy. If you're newish to this boat maintenance stuff (like me), a survey will be invaluable in pointing out areas that need attention. These are old boats and you'll probably have plenty to do regardless of which boat you buy. (No offense Keith. )

If nothing else, look at a couple of them and compare notes.

One more thing, the couple of hundred, even thousand of dollars spent on a splash ready boat in excellent condition vs. labor and time spent getting one ready is chump change in the life of these babies. If you can afford it, buy one ready to go and sail - unless, of course, you're a masochist like many on this board...

Good luck!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mbd,

I have looked through the gallery, and although that does look like fun and I can only imagine the feeling of sailing something I have restored. It is something I want to do, just not yet. This boat was in the water last year also, and has an inventory of sails age i'm not sure. I do think Keiths boat is in slightly better shape, least the topside paint seems fresher. I've already put in for the loan and the papers should be here tommorrow with her numbers on it, unles the BOSS tells me other wise well probly press ahead with this one.

_Paul

Well then, a hearty congrats is in order then Paul! And don't worry, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunities for "elbow grease" on you "new" boat... Happy sailing - these are great boats.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thanks Mbd,

Just wondered if I could put in a request for May to arive just a little sooner, seems she is the last in line to be put in, though that give me ample time to paint her bottom.

Congratulations,
    I've coveted that boat for a while. An Inboard, by God! you're a lucky man. If I could just get a mooring (hen's teeth up here) I'd buy that boat or Kieth's. Next year. I just bought a trailerable cat boat to hold me over.
    Brian
    New Hampshire

Went down to see her today, probly start on pain next week, but I was looking for the plaque that would have her hull number, If you on you way up the campanion way would it have been on your left next to the hatch door tracks? If so it's gone!

Quote Originally Posted by tha3rdman
    I was looking for the plaque that would have her hull number, If you on you way up the campanion way would it have been on your left next to the hatch door tracks? If so it's gone!
    Original location is on the aft bulkhead in the cockpit just below the traveler. If not there, look around. Maybe it's in a drawer? Otherwise, is there a number on the main? If not, find a former owner

Ariel #97

I found it, was hiding behind the tiller, any how here are some base line shots.

All the dark stuff in P3300037 is Mold
    Attached Images          

Bilge pictures.
    Attached Images    

Rudder concerns . . was thinking a little glass would do well here.
    Attached Images          

What do I see?

Tha3rdMan,

Welcome aboard!

IMHO, the rudder pics you show don't look too bad to me. Keep in mind they are wooden rudders that some have later covered with glass. The stuff I noticed in the pictures looks (to my eyes) to me cosmetic.

Those here that have had issues, usually talk about the rudder shaft. Of course you would have to pull the rudder shoe to get an idea of where you are on that.
    (others will have more insite as to the value of that undertaking).

The main reason for the reply was to ask;
    What am I looking at here?
    Last edited by c_amos; 03-30-2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fix image

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

that is under the forward berth, looks like some generic paper made to look like wood veneer.

Previous owners painted the entire forward bunk blue, and patched some other stuff, seen in the pictures around the vent.
    #97 "Absum!"

I concur, the rudder looks ok. you might want to strip back the paint in the area of the rudder shoe and the bronze strap in order to check for wear and fractured fiberglass.

The trail of water coming out of the rudder shoe may be worth investigating. My boat showed that symptom when there was water in the keel. A series of cracks around the rudder shoe was one of the sources of the leak into the keel void on my boat.

Looks like you have a worthy project!

cheers,

Bill@ariel231

+ Reply to Thread