+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #97

How not to repair a sanchion.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Rebedding all the deck hardware, starting with the bow.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Miscleanous pictures of the rebedding and some patch work.
    Attached Images      
    #97 "Absum!"

#46 above - Ouch!! That's more than just a "rebed" job now. Yikes. I was wavering between doing the same thing and opted to just get it over with. The kids are just getting older and easier to sail with anyways. Heck, maybe they'll have learned to swim by the time I'm done.

What worries me now, is that every time I remove something, I see two more things that need to be "fixed".
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    What worries me now, is that every time I remove something, I see two more things that need to be "fixed".
    Ah yes, the truth will out . . .

Well the sanchions are all back on everything has been under cut (allen wrenched out the core) and peanut butter bedded and sealed with Life caulk (until that tube found it's way out of the gun and into the river) then switched over to 3M 4000 UV.

One thing I noticed it about mid way back between the winches and forward part of the coming there stops the core. Is that standard?

The small original track isnt going back on privious owner (not that they know much, tried to tell me the winches on her were self tailing) claims to never have used the small track.

Will go with the patchwork look until winter when well see about some awlgrip.

Gas tank is also rehung, with 4 1/2 inch stainless straps, to keep the Enviromentalists off my stern, had a issue with the back straps snapping and gas dripping out the breather (OOPS) Privious owner used steel straps and a plastic tube (to keep the strap from chafin) the tube held water and rotted the steel.

BUT this weekend we sail, a 4 day trip in the chesapeake, from HDG to the ineer harbor of Baltimore, retrace the steps of the long gone schooners.
    #97 "Absum!"

midway between the front of the cockpit & the winches...That's where the core ends on A231.

I removed the inboard tracks almost 8 years back. I'm thinking of putting the inboard tracks in place to handle a storm jib....

have a great sail this weekend.
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 05-26-2006 at 01:58 PM.

After reading the heavy weather thread I realize my fears were irrational, we went to Baltimore and with the tugs fly in and out od the harbor the water had some rough wake, turning into the wake (2.5 feet at times) yeilded some awesome bow splash . . well awesome for me made the rest of the trip home uneventful, we motored out of the harbor due to dead wind here's a lilt clip, didnt get any big wake just some little stuff.

For a first boat, and trip was an adventure.

Clip will have to wait it's 2.5 meg. heres some pictures in lieu.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

I'm not the best at docking, having only done it about 6 times and when the dock master told me the slip was here i about called another marina, I had to navigate a narrow passage between a large cuise ship at the fuel dock, and the water taxi's, as well as fit in a slip that left me about 1 foot and a half clearence total, the dock hand as well as my two friends and wife made it an uneventfull docking, they didnt have to deflect me much.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Leaving monday in dead air, figured a stop at the fuel dock was appropriate.
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

I forgot, that the bay ate my wifes wedding rings the saturday before memorial day, and today the bay got a hold of my brand new whisker pole.

Running Tally:
    - 7/8 Tube of Life Calk
    - Wedding band
    - Engagement ring
    - Sapphire Wrap for the Engagement ring
    - Brand new adj. Whisker pole
    #97 "Absum!"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Damn! That's gonna get expensive pretty soon.

The sea gods are angry. Pour some rum over the side.

Bucking tradition and in need of some new sails (something with a reef in the main) I had seen a Westsail with burgandy sails, and wondered if any had seen an ariel/commander with anything other then white sails, and how it looked.

I borrowed #76's picture just to paint the sail for a shoddy graphical representation.

Opinions?
    Attached Images  
    #97 "Absum!"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I've toyed with the idea of getting traditional looking sails made of dacron.

North makes a line of cloth call "Oceanus"

http://na.northsails.com/North_Cloth/oceanus_cloth.html

Bainbridge makes a cloth called "classic cream." They probably have a tanbark cloth too.

I'm sure there's a downside to the fabric. At the very least it will cost more, and most sailmakers won't be interested in doing the job

The egyptian cotton look would be sweet
    Attached Images  

I had the pleasure of switching boats for a morning with another sailor on our last cruise. He had the Egyptcian cotton look sails and I was very impressed. Looked very classic and very easy on the eyes as apposed to white.The up-charge is about the same as 'tan bark' red , but I now prefer that look better....so much so that a new set of sails I had on order in tan bark has now been switched to Egyptcian cotton.Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by frank durant; 06-21-2006 at 01:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread