+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Commander Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Ekers
    I might be wrong on this but I think the goose neck is mounted properly but the boom is rotated. I think the eye at the bottom of the goose neck is for a down haul and the main sail attaches to the bolt on the boom.
    Sounds right to me. The fitting at the "bottom" forward end of the boom is the one I meant to say is where the sail attaches . . .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    You can buy rubrail here

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...%5Epage%7EGRID

3/4 inch if I recall. I doubt that its as heavy as the original, but cheap enough.

You are going to have a "TO DO" list 10 pages long pretty soon. The urge to tackle cosmetics is nearly irresistible.

My advice--get that puppy in the water and sailing ASAP.

Some people look at boat projects as a fun exercise. I consider each job to be an evil impediment to my happiness.
    Last edited by commanderpete; 03-31-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Color Matching.

I had an interesting conversation with the Petit rep at the Boston Boat Show. I have considered trying to match the pale green color of my exisitng topsides but dispaired on how to accomplish that.

I asked if Easypoxy is tintable. To my surprise, he said YES! But( always a few caveats to make life interesting). Do not use universal tints. They are designed for latex paints and water as a solvent. But you can use the oil based tints. The solvents are apparently close enough that it will work. So if you can locate a store that has oil based tints, and a color matching computer, you stand a chance of coming close.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Thanks guys,

I'm already having a lot of fun with my boat, even though I haven't even seen her again since I bought her 10 days ago! But talking to all of you makes me itch to try things. I'm still undecided about the colors. I don't need to match the existing blue since I will overpaint it completely anyway. I hear you about the heatup and the problem that scratches and dings will show easier. However, I still like the look of it, I get a classic look as Commander Pete says.

Eric, your journey sounds mad. I have to stay clear of you! My friends will commit me to an institution if I would mention such an act of craziness.

Oh, in a bit of good news I got a can in Chicago harbor already, so that worry is over. Now to get a little dinghy...

Manuals? Does anybody know if the Association has Commander manuals currently in stock? I sent an order form and check to the address given on the Association's page over two weeks ago but haven't heard a peep. And the checks haven't been cashed either...
    I'm starting to get a little nervous since I was planning on launching in two weeks and wanted to make a number of repairs - bilge pump, new lexan port panes, new light bulb on mast top and whatever else is standard maintenance. But now I don't know what to do...

Hurray!

Just got an email from Gene that the manuals are on their way. They are shipping as books to save on postage, that's why they take a little longer. I can't wait to dig into them.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Changing the bulb might get the light to work, but I've never been that lucky

How do you mean? The previous owner mentioned that I should do this while greasing whatever wheels are up there. I took it to mean that the light isn't actually broken, only as a precaution to save myself a trip up there if the bulb should die sometime during the season. Or was he pulling my leg? I don't even know if the light currently works...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan
    . . . I don't even know if the light currently works.
    Step one: Some evening, turn on the mast head light and look.
    Step two: Depends on what you see . . .

As far as I know, Pearson only installed a steaming light on the front of the mast. It doesn't get used much. If it doesn't work, good chance its not the bulb.

If you have an anchor light or tricolor at the top, it was installed later. I couldn't tell you what kind of bulb it used.

I'm heading up to where my boat is stored again today. I haven't been there at night, so I cannot see the light... I've received the maintenance manuals by now (very nice to have), but there isn't any mention of the lights indeed... I had assumed there's a light on the masthead but I guess I'll call the PO to find out if he knows.

+ Reply to Thread