+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So Oregon Boat

We had a sunnier day here in So Oregon, so took my dog for a dock walk at our lake's marina today. Surprise, there sat an Ariel for sale at $4000. The bad news is it really looks awfully neglected. I'm not an authority on the tech points, but I'd guess this one will need a full "revival". I'm sure the cost of same varies greatly from boat to boat, depending on owner's skills and extras. Would anyone care to guess a rough medium to worst case cost to bring an Ariel back to life - assuming I would do all of the work? I'm not speaking of mint, just a healthy good looking boat. Even if would sell for $2000, am not anxious to put $10,000 cash into her (some thousands $ of sweat equity ok - I'm retired, cheap labor ).

I saw a Commander for sale recently where owner claimed almost $20,000 invested. He was clearly in love with that boat! Asking $6500. I just found the ad:

http://www.tytiamorgan.com/boat

The Commander sounds/looks a bargain compared to above Ariel.
    Last edited by xroyal; 03-26-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Exclamation Lesson Number One

A BOAT IS A HOLE IN THE WATER INTO WHICH ONE POURS MONEY.
    LESSON NUMBER TWO:
    IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND LESSON NUMBER TWO, RE-READ LESSON NUMBER ONE.
    LESSON NUMBER THREE:
    IF YOU CROSS THE OCEAN ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD CAN NOT REPLACE THE WEALTH OF PERSONAL GAIN ACHIEVED.
    LESSON NUMBER FOUR:
    PREPAIR FOR THE WORST.THAT BOAT CAN AND WILL BE OUT FROM UNDER YOU IN LITTLE OR NO TIME AT ALL WITH OUT WARNING.THOSE THINGS DONT JUST HAPPEN ON TV----THEY OCCUR IN REAL LIFE TOO.
    now go read your books like I did.and yes I infact learned all the above the hard way.
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 03-27-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Eric. Lesson One was engrained in me in the late 70s/early 80s when I restored a 17' runabout to a classic New England look + I cleaned up my 24' Columbia Challenger sloop. Living in Marin County, CA, one of the wealthiest (County - not me) in the nation. I was dealing with the old Anchorage Marine, later West Marine in Sausalito, and had to learn the hard way that tiny brass cleats, teak, etc were worth the same as gold.

When I posed the above question I was afraid I might be imposing on some skippers who probably would love to forget the money poured down that water hole. I should probably stick with the advice of getting a boat someone else has already showered with love and $ - witness the Commander above.

Exclamation I will soon be in the same "boat"

buying and selling boats is nothing new to me.in no way shape or form are boats to be considered a money making venture.{thats my experience and opinion} in enuff time slip fees alone(if applicable) will over run the cost of most small boats.now there are ways around this.but you have to be resourseful.soon I will be in the market for another boat and I need no broker or surveyor to guide me thru the process.

Agreed, but, an exception for me, the buyer of my Columbia Challenger said she was the best of it's type (amongst many) on SF Bay, and paid me $1000 more than I paid. Luckily, I had bought it mint from the Commodore of the Chevron oil fleet, including new North sails. The sad part is several years later I was walking the docks in Sausalito, and there she sat looking a wreck.

Just as in buying houses, I need to do my own looking to get the specs I want + I enjoy the process. I'm sure brokers are helpful for people short on time. I didn't need a surveyor for the above Columbia, but one may not have a choice if an insurer demands a survey. Importantly, liveaboard marinas in SF area demand insurance.

Happy shopping!

+ Reply to Thread