+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Child Safety

child safety

Hello everyone, we have another question regarding the safety of our children (6,4,2) anybody out there sailing with small children, would love to hear stories and/or advice (worried wife/mother)

Hi Chris,

I was intending on posting this same question at some point...

I don't have a lot of practical experience with this, but I am also interested in others' input on the subject. My kids will be 5 and 3 this year when/if I get the boat back in the water.

Safety:
    - I got harnesses for each over the winter and am planning on rigging up a tethering system so they can move around a bit.
    - I would also like to get and install stern rails so the cockpit is a more secure.
    - When I can afford it, roller furling is in order as well. Basically, I want the boat set up so I can essentially single-hand it and my wife can watch the kids. For docking, I want to be sure the kids are safe while my wife lends a hand with the boat.

Fun:
    - The kids love the front hatch in the v-berth, and I am going to set up a platform over the v-berth and a containment system across the doorway up there so they can't fall out - and maybe hand holds inside to aid them in poking their heads out while underway.
    - The tether system would fall under this category as well, so the kids can move around safely while the boat is underway.
    - I'm aiming for a "sleep-over" this year as well. Not even going anywhere, just at the dock, nothing extravagant. I'm not counting on much sleep for anyone, but I find the more you do something, you figure out how to refine the process so it gets easier and easier...

Other than that, I've been told to keep the sails short and fun and they'll grow into the longer trips that us grown-ups enjoy.

I'm sure Bill (Ave Maria #350) in Oregon would have plenty of practical advice for us. I understand he's got quite a crew.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

My kids are 9 and 5, and this'll be their third year in our Commander. We do mostly day sailing in SF bay (Angel Island is a favorite), but have slept on the boat as well. Once my daughter turned 4, she came off the tether and into a regular life jacket. When other kids join us, if I judge that they aren't ready to listen to the skipper, they get a harness and tether (regardless of age). We do regular MOB drills, and everybody has their role. I tie a couple of plastic containers together, and throw it overboard. We pretend it's someone we know ("look, grandma's fallen out! Better get her quick").

My 5 year old has now perfected a technique of falling asleep with one hand gripping the coaming, to prevent rolling off. Amazing how adaptable kids are.

Got any tips or do's and don'ts? What worked and what didn't? Did you just tether them to the cockpit or rig up a jackline ? How is your boat set up, etc. etc.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info everyone, I like the idea of the jack lines. and it makes sense to go for short sails. Thanks again

Exclamation get the proper size personal flotation devices

dont just get the cheapo "kapok" ones at wall mart----get the good wrap-around--full vest type with multiple strap connections.get severel for each of the size and age group of people on board. they should wear them constantly---and remember--NO RUNNING ON THE DOCKS-AND NO ROLLER SKATING EITHER!!!!!!!-they should also wear them while on the dock, any where near someone is liable to fall in the water. also---when walking around on deck---there is a reason why there are handrails on the coach roof and deck always remember--one hand on the boat and one for your self--always hold on to something---the heeling action of a sailboat can be very unnerving to some one---"is it going to roll over?" also go to the nearest YMCA or RED CROSS and take swimming courses or just courses on water safety.teach the unexperienced that they must have respect for the water even in and around a simple swimming pool in your own back yard these things dont just happen on TV--they happen in real life too----you dont want to have to pull lifeless bodies out of the water the way I did.dont let me scare you---I grew up on and around the waterfront ever since I was a very young child---it is an excellent learning experience---my father always took us out way way way far out into the ocean on his motorboat to go fising---who needs Disneyland when theres a whole ocean to explore??? this lead to scuba diving---navigating--and liveaboard life.It is a legacy that I lived my entire life with and eventually sailed my ariel across the pacific ocean and back.It all started when I was a kid......
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 04-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread