+ Reply to Thread

Thread: detatched rudder?

detatched rudder?

There is a Wing 25 (LOA 25 - LWL 18 - Beam 8 - Beam 3'7" - disp 6610 - encapsulated iron(!) keel - yanmar inboard) that in looks for sure could be a kissing cousin to the Ariel.
    This boat is for sale, looks like it was in the middle of a project:
    Removing the keel-hung rudder to a skeg further back...
    [google Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yachtbrokers - yacht brokerage and boat ...]
    www.yachtsnet.co.uk/boats/j13106/j13106.htm

Good pics of a Brit version of the Ariel.
    The broker's camera makes this boat look like a 30 footer!
    It's hard to figure where the rudder post originally entered the cockpit?
    Interesting enclosed Lavac for a skipper whose head musta been tucked underneath 'is arm.
    What's also interesting is that this may be hull #1 (1964) of the Wing.
    Did any Wing's ever make it over here?
    What ever happened to our Ariel hull # 1?
    Last edited by ebb; 03-08-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Hull #1

Hull #1 is on the eastern shore of Md. The owner, John Griffiths, a retired marine surveyor and boat builder, has been re-building her for the past few years. John was sidetracked with medical problems for the majority of last year, so no work was done ... He's on the mend now and as the weather warms up, he plans to get Kestrel out of his shop and into the water.

I spoke to John about what he found in hull #1 and he said ..."they made all their mistakes on the early boats and then corrected as they went along." He found wide deviations in the thickness and layup of the hull. "Typical of all fibreglass boats of that time period." There were the usual keel voids too. The hull deck joint was all but separated. The foredecks and the cabin top needed to be repaired. He recored and reglassed the decks and cut out and replaced the glass on the cabin top. I think it was on the port side. A big section of that was rotted and he cut it out and reglassed it. He did a lot of fibreglass work around the tube where the rudder post runs through the hull. The original engine had spent a long time submerged. He replaced it with Yanmar 12 hp ... He rewired the boat and built a new rudder. New hatch. Replaced the rudeer post too with a new bronze one.

There are some pictures posted of Kestrel (hull #1) on ths site. Check them out. She looks about the same right now, with new lifelines almost ready to be strung. With luck, this spring she'll be painted and launched. I will take pictures and update hull #1's story as it continues to unfold.

Bill (Haabet - Hull 133)

Ebb, it was a Wing 25 that I was looking at in the "Enclosed Head" thread. Nice boats! I hoping that the recently posted "Ariel 412 for sale" will post pictures of his enclosed head and interior. Someone with an Ariel has done it!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thumbs down same detatched rudder on a bounty

I have seen that modification done on a bounty and dont care for it

+ Reply to Thread