+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Boat Restoration--The Ugly Truth

Water tank

Hey Mike cool picture.How do you get such a large picture on this board?How big of a water tank do you have in the bilge,did you have it custom made?

Thanks Steve,
    I was walking away from the boat and looked over my shoulder and had to take the photo , the light does get that good every day .
    The resolution is set to 1280x720 , I think .I had to reset the compression to get the website to accept it , it was a very large file shot on a 5.2 mega-pixal camera .
    Set the JPEG compression to it's highest setting , least quality .

Tank is custom made and close to 12 gal . It follows the shape of the bilge from the aft sump to midway of cabin sole aprox.4' . My forward tank is too rusty to use and is coming out as soon as I am inspired enough . May put a holding tank there .

Mike

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    You guys drink water? Now if you installed some beer taps I would really be impressed.

Would go well on this boat. Nothing quite like a MacGregor-- Lousy sailboat, Crummy powerboat.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 05-31-2002 at 07:34 AM.

Dont laugh at the Macgregor 26x,one of these things with a 50 hp engine pulled me off a sand bar one night and I was hard aground over on my side.Not that I would want a clorox bottle .My bilge is were I keep my spare beer,generally 2 cases or so .Luckily my bow water tank is monel and is in bristle condition but only 12 gallons.I carry 2 spare 3 gallon jerry jugs.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 05-31-2002 at 08:02 AM.

Water tank

Mike,I dont guess you happened to take any pictures of your water tank installation?I tried a flexible tank in the bilge but really didnt have much lucK,since the bilge is so narrow and long no flex. tank fit and I couldnt really fill it and had bad suction from my pump.I need a new digitial camera,mines only 2.1 megapix,I think Ill get at least a 3.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 06-01-2002 at 09:46 AM.

Steve ,
    Here is a shot of the tank installed . My wife thinks she took one on film before we put it back in . I guess I'll fire up the flat bed scanner .
    Attached Images  

Water tank

Mike,it looks like you didnt even have to pull up the cabin sole,is that true?Or did you do that great of a job replacing it?You didnt happen to take a picture before you put it in did you? Im wondering about the shape.Your cabin sole looks to be narrower than mine,maybe set a little lower by an inch or so.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 06-01-2002 at 07:43 PM.

Steve,
    Mine is the stock cabin sole & in terrible shape showing 40 years of wear . The access hatch had to be cut out longer .
    My wife is looking for her photo of the tank after she polished it before we installed it.
    I will take another photo with a tape measure laid alongside .Dont you have a teak & holly overlay on you cabin sole ?

Nice job but my concern is over certain practical matters. I can do without cold tank water, but where do you now store beer (and Evian water) keep it cold, and have it run in case a bottle or can gets pierced? One other matter. The full water tank up front offsets the weight of the outboard on the back. How do you offset the stern dragging lower in the water (and getting even heavier with water) recognizing that the center of fore/aft balance is about where the hanging locker is?
    Last edited by Theis; 06-03-2002 at 08:39 AM.

Bilge storage

You have to remember Mike and I sail on the Chesapeake Bay were the water in the summer time is 85 degrees or so. We cant stow stuff in the bilge to get it cold.Pluse anyone with an outboard model doesnt carry anywhere near the weight of an inboard model , so I wouldnt think this would not be a big concern.Dont you guys have lead weights 2 -100 pounderers to make up for some of the lack of weight of the outboard models? ( Atomic 4 weighs 325lbs pluse 20 gallons of fuel)Just take some of it out if weight is a big concern.My lazzeret locker is full including a 2 hp. 4 stroke Honda outboard for the dink weighing 27 pounds and 40 pounds of dog food.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 06-03-2002 at 01:37 PM.

Pictures for Steve and all

Noeta still awaits the lifting swell ..... the weather hasn't been very cooperative of late and I'm waiting for "BROWN" with my supplies. Brown has got my BLUE bottom paint!!
    Attached Images  

another view

This is another look at one of the folding tables ... which when up flat against the locker bulkhead reduces the berth length by a couple of inches ... Well there is always the berth forward.
    Attached Images  

more main cabin

Since these photos were taken the cabin has had some white paint flung about which I will be glad to demonstrate nxt time I get my hands on a digicam.
    Attached Images  

The ice box

I think I'll install a sliding (pull-out) chart table under the ice box... & perhaps one on the port side too!
    Attached Images  

The cockpit and what was left of the main sheeting system

The main sheeting arrangement is soon to be replaced with a traveller setup .... still waiting for some of the hardware which I ordered a couple of weeks ago :Ugh:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread