+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Ariel Speed Record !!!

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Heeling the boat gives it a longer waterline and spreads the distance between the bow and stern wave, allowing greater speed

So, to answer your question, I have no idea.

I just like to look at pictures
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-13-2007 at 12:05 PM.

C'Pete - now that's a convenient angle! You can wash your hands in the drink without leaving the comfort of your tiller-side seat.

Alas, these are likely just the idle questions of a single hander... Cripes I'm out there and the ol' noggin has to occupy itself with something!

The storm clouds have given up for the afternoon - I'm going sailing

....."Au contraire! Not arguing by any stretch - throwing my ingorance at the mercy of the well informed.".....I was just hoping to get another poetic responce out of him

What Ebb said about the lines of A/C's - exactly.

I've looked very closely at many other Albergs (while trying hard not to be biased, even!) - Triton, B27, A30 and 35, Cape Dorys - and I really do think that the lines on the A/C's are just a smidgen more 'perfect' than any other that Carl drew. Very very subtle differences, but they are there.

Of course, any of the above vessels far and away have more beautiful lines than just about any other boat, especially production boats. I will gladly admit to an Alberg bias.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Let alone the visible lines in the water - with fresh bottom paint, the lines of her hull hanging... expectantly... from the travelift... I couldn't agree more. Standing there live, it kind of took my breath away.

Not sure who belongs to #274 (second pic below), but this is one of my favorites (What a shot!!) from my enormous "commanderpix" desktop-slideshow file - I just like to look at 'em!
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 07-18-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Holy Rolly,
    Look how lightly that Dawg sit in the straps!
    Look at that shot of her SAILING!
    There really is something extraordinary about that hull in the water!
    Gorgeous boat, gorgeous shot.

HOWEVER, There is the bow. And LOOK at Dawg - ain't that bow....PERFECT? PERFECT.

However, I'm compleatly objective about sterns.

But for me a good quick indicator of any boat and its designer is the transom.
    Here you have it or you don't. Put an Ariel and Commander next to a Triton and a Cape Dory.
    There really is NO COMPARISON. The Ariel transom has golden proportion to it. The quarters are fuller than the Triton. And the symetric curves of the quarters, for lack of vocabulary, sexy. The Triton's ends lean and sinuey on the quarters. The C.D.'s is plain and stodgy. The point is, though: the Ariel transom, without compare, is a near perfect conception. Perhaps a little more tumblehome....no! really doesn't need anything to make it more pleasing than it exists!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-18-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    And LOOK at Dawg - ain't that bow....PERFECT? PERFECT.
    Lucky Dawg can't take credit for the bow pic - that's hull #274 "Das Boot" out of Chicago - don't know who she belongs to, but I want to borrow your photographer.

Nice! I got the same results flying twin jibs dead down wind with 20 knot winds and following 10 foot seas from Pillar Point to Monterey, surfing on crests for minutes at a time. I wish I'd captured that on video. It's a thing of beauty when a crest approaches from astern, reaches the bow, and then just stops as the boat catches up and follows.

I routinely do 6 knots with peaks over 7 on a close reach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdYXAuzh6ZQ

I can't imagine sailing without the thrill of ocean swells.
    Last edited by pbryant; 01-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread