If you look at the performance indicators for Peason built boats, the Ariel has a whopping 43% ballast to displacement ratio. This compares favorably to the Triton with 45% but somewhat higher than the 37% for the 30foot Shaw designed full keel Pearson Coaster. I don't have the ballast to weight for the Alberg 30.

Similarly the Displacement to Length ratios are:

Ariel: 409
Triton: 415
Coaster: 334
The Alberg 30 clocks in at: 395
The Coaster has a longer LWL than the Alberg 30. (23.53 ft. compared to 21.67 ft.)The Coaster has a greater displacement than the Alberg 30 (9776 lb. to 9,000 lb)

Also interesting - the Capsize Screening Formulas results are:

Ariel: 178
Triton: 165
Coaster: 176
The Alberg 30 clocks in at: 168

It is very interesting to compare the performance indicators for the above designs to Pearson's later boats.

And what's wrong with sailing around at 30+ degrees of heel with all the sails up in 20 knots of wind? The Ariel handles it well, goes to weather at greater that hull speed in such conditions, and doesn't seem to mind having the rail down, and will sail that way for hours with self steering gears, which leaves the single handed skipper free to make lunch. Now I am probably not going to cook a pot of beans at that angle of heel, but then again, we don't have much of a galley in the first place, do we?

I am still looking for an old seaswing stove that will run on Sterno. Anybody have one for sale?