Thread: New Generation Anchor

Threaded View

NO Acco Chain Rode Swivel failures yet on the net.

Tony,
    To say, in my long
    long
    long
    round about way, I would not rig the ACCO swivel unless I had to.
    The 3/8" Crosby Alloy shackle between the anchor and 1/4" HT ACCO chain is adequate for short term anchoring. It is more certain to weather a Craig experienced hurricane with a deep set Supreme. The WLLs are all well above a ton including the anchor.

This is the way out because normally you won't have an oversize link on the ends of your chain rode.
    I will go through the pricing process (I'll try 1st Chain on the net) of ordering chain with the oversize because a 7/16" shackle LOOKS a hell of a lot better on the end of a 25# anchor (than a dinky two ton 3/8" A shackle!!)
    When you order with the big links I assume that galvanizing is done after the oversize is welded on. It's a custom process.

For general non stormy anchoring out where cycling wind and tide and a hard set anchor can generate knots in chain and line I would put the swivel in.
    I would have the CROSBY ALLOY ANCHOR SHACKLE with its pin in the anchor.
    Then add the swivel. Then add the chain.
    Having that extra shackle means that it is less likely that the swivel will bind.
    DON'T RIG THE ACCO SWIVEL TO THE ANCHOR WITH THE FORK. It's easy to imagine a hard set anchor with the rode at a crazy angle yanking on the swivel trying to bend it. Attaching the swivel to another shackle on the anchor shank makes a kind of knuckle. More likely to lead the swivel fairly.
    Of course things could still get into a knot when Murphy does the anchoring.

1) Anchor.
    2) Crosby alloy anchor shackle - bow in, pin out.
    3) G43.

1) Anchor.
    2) Crosby alloy anchor shackle - pin in, bow out.
    3) Acco Swivel.
    4) G43.

imco The Acco Anchor Rode Swivel can use an upgrade.

It's nice enough, but I wouldn't really trust it in a blow.
    The embossed markings are ambiguous.
    The swivel is not marked well enough to excuse it from the WEAKEST LINK category.
    I really want a swivel that will always be rigged to the anchor rode system.
    [Clearly, do not use ANY fitting - including a shackle - if it does not have clear embossed markings.
    The WLL of any fitting in the rode system should be equal to or better than the chain you are using. The Working Load Limit is key to designing the anchor system.]
    IMCO

Peerless Chain please answer.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    Peerless Chain has not contacted this letter writer.

BUT,
    I CANNOT GET THE ACCO RODE SWIVEL TO SWING FREE ON A SINGLE SHACKLE TO THE MANSON SUPREME.
    Anchor to anchor shackle - anchor shackle to swivel - swivel to chain.
    The Supreme has a wide shank end to accommodate the slide option. This means that even with the swivel attached to a regular shackle on the anchor,

THE ACCO SWIVEL WILL STILL BIND ON THE ANCHOR SHANK

even using the larger 7/16" Alloy shackle.
    Somebody clue me in, OK?
    I don't see how we can rig the Acco Swivel to the Supreme.
    Add another shackle ? Too much garbage on the anchor. I'm at a loss.

The Supreme needs a stretch bow shackle. One that will freely pivot from the top to the bottom of the wide shank.
    The goddam anchor maker should supply this special shackle with the anchor when you buy it.
    The Manson Supreme has had its detractors - often for the whimsical slide option for pulling the anchor out of rock or coral.

THE REAL PROBLEM WITH THE MANSON SUPREME IS THAT THERE IS NO SHACKLE AVAILABLE THAT CAN FULLY PIVOT THE END OF THE SHANK.
    The full pivot should also be done with another shackle or chain attached to the anchor shackle. This means to me that it is possible for kinking or binding to occur at the attachment point of the Suipreme.

I would complain to these guys.
    imco
    Last edited by ebb; 03-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.