Thread: New Generation Anchor

Threaded View

Limp Rocna and The Fabrication Ultimatum

That is an amazing photo. Also a very weird awkward anchor roller.
    When I was on the hype trail, discovered both anchor makers made statements that they used essentially the same steel alloy for their shanks.
    To see the Rocna shank bent like a noodle we miught suspect mild steel was used. This is just as revealing as the actual mechanical face off test. Don't believe the T-1 steel that Manson says their shank is made from can be bent like that (T-1 is used to make backhoe buckets).
    It probably takes an idiot on a windlass and the anchor caught in something immovable on the bottom to make it happen.
    But it seems from the face-off metal testing that the conclusion is that Rocna is plainly NOT constructed with equal materials to the Manson Supreme. I accept that.

From the tension photos of the broken anchors it does look like shanks were not subjected to sideways bend tests. That would be interesting and more conclusive.

SHANK TO FLUKE CONNECTION.
    Focused my personal fears on the shank-to-fluke WELD on both anchors. The Rocna (IF THE SHANK IS ACTUALLY WELDED AND WHAT WE SEE IN THE PHOTO IS NOT A SINGLE CASTING) has a beautiful weld bead along the seam between shank and fluke. And that looks like that weld survived, didn't crack, from whatever SIDE force was used to pretzel the shank.

My off-the-shelf Manson Supreme - along the same BUTT WELDED seam - has a series of three beads welded on top of one another on each side. One side of the shank looks very pretty. The other side doesn't - it's sort of flat and might even be missing a bead....so I'll always wonder about the consequences when hooked off a lee shore in hurricane Harriet.

It seems that the machine test is merely a kind of stretch test, often done with metals. I'd like to see how it was set up in the machine.
    Bending tests are obviously just as important if not more important. And definitely I'd want to see high stress put on that shank to fluke weld. That would get my attention. Call it the Fabrication Ultimatum.
    I like to see a test that tries to puill the shank off the fluke to test that weld!
    There needs to be an accompaning VIDEO of the demonstration. Pix of broken anchors are not good enough.

As far as it goes,
    MANSON DID NOT GO ALL THE WAY
    with the Rocna challenge testing. As a stand alone comparrison it is merely a gimmick.

Nothing has been proven.
    Imco has always been that the shank should be brought thru a forged mortise in the fluke (The Spade does this on their take apart) and WELDED TOP AND BOTTOM to the blade.

THAT will convince me that the weld would never let the shank separate from the fluke!!!
    Even if one or the other, or both, got twisted.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-12-2011 at 08:22 AM.