+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sink Drain

Rick Guest

Sink Drain

I just wanted to thank whoever discovered the idea to tie up the sink drain on the 26. I put my boat in the water yesterday, and was very lucky that I did that. The sink drain corroded and it did drop down a bit (the string should have been a little tighter) but it prevented the boat from sinking, it was just a trickle comming in thru the hose. Thank you once again!

Smile

The discovery was made in the distant past after an Ariel was found at its slip sitting on the bottom. I believe this was in the mid to late 1970's.

Sink drain

Anyone that hasnt replaced the tail piece on the sink really should.This is an accident waiting to happen.The sink is only a few inches above the water line.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hi Rick, Welcome.

I snapped a picture of your fine looking boat the other day.
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Underneath the sink drain is the tail piece, a length of hose, a check valve, another length of hose, then the molded fiberglass tube down to the exit hole.

I'm replacing the tail piece and hoses.

The bottom piece of hose doesn't want to come off from the fiberglass tube. I've tried heat, but may need more drastic measures.

Sink drain

We need pictures Commanderpete and lots of them. Sirocco has a sea cock hull valve there.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 05-15-2002 at 11:24 AM.

Seacocks are aftermarket installed by serious owners. Otherwise, it's just a piece of of fiberglass tubing. Some skippers have opted to leave the tubing and argue that it is a better solution than going to a seacock.

One reason for a seacock on the sink drain side is that you can close it when gone from the boat.

Sea cocks

No ,sorry Capt. Bill. sea cocks are standard equipment on inboard models have 5 total actually, 1 more for the enging water cooling. Have to remove the galley to do engine maintenance.Dont quote from the Ariel manuel like its gospel because that thing has a lot of things wrong!!!!!Sirocco was bought from the original owner and sea cocks came with her.The old tapper plug type.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 05-15-2002 at 07:55 PM.

I stand corrected. The ob models came without the aft seacocks. Guess I've not seen enough inboard models.

BTW - if you know of errors in the manual, we sure would like to have them identified. Peter Theis has been good enough to point out a few to us in the past.

I suppose the plumbing is different on the Ariel and Commander.

Here is the area underneath the "galley." The galley is just a cabinet with a sink. I pulled that off the boat for refinishing.

A molded fiberglass tube leads out of the boat. On top of that is a short length of black hose (the one I can't get off).

The green hose leads from the water tank to the sink water pump.
    Attached Images  

Next comes the "check valve"
    Attached Images  

This is just a bronze fitting with a hole at the top. A floating ball stops up the hole to prevent water from rising higher.
    Attached Images  

A bar at the bottom holds the ball in.

By the way, the brown stuff is fairng compound covering my recent fiberglass job.
    Attached Images  

The next section of hose leads to the sink drain tail piece
    Attached Images  

That's all there is to it.

I've been tying up this assembly too. However, I don't see how it could possibly fall over. The hoses are so thick and stiff you would need a crowbar to bend them.

The only reason I decided to replace the hoses is because I figured they might be getting brittle with age and could leak (and I had the galley off anyway).

I considered a seacock. But, then I would worry about if I remembered to close it when I left the boat.

The green water hose looks like it's just common garden hose. I thought about replacing that, but not much water is drank on my boat. Not the beverage of choice

+ Reply to Thread