+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Yard Needed....CHEAP!

DIY Yard Needed....CHEAP!

Hi again fellas!!! Back with more silly questions, but thanks for making me "not" feel like an idiot asking them...I really appreciate everyone's help!

So, in the quest for knowledge of what to do, if and when I acquire #387 I'm trying to find a DIY yard nearby. Currently she's in Merritt Island, FL. I've called all of the Marina's nearby that I can find listed on the internet and no luck so far...unless it's a by the day place that wants $20 per day! (no thanks)

I plan on digging into a full on restoration project right off the bat and if anyone can reccomend a place, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to keep the price down around $6 to $7 per foot per month and have electrical power close by.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Have you called Sun Harbor Marina? You might google em up and see what they have to say. Think it's over near Indian Harbour Beach. I have no idea about their rates but having been by there the other day I'd be stunned to hear they're expensive.

Unhappy

Thanks for the tip...I gave them a call and unfortunately, they do not allow you to work on your boat either. This seems to be a common theme, there is just no place to do you own work these days!! Has anyone else run into this "anti-do it yourself" mentality?? I really can't see buying an ariel that needs all this work done if I can't find a place that will let me do it!!
    Last edited by cjackson; 01-11-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Try a Google search: I used: Boat Yards "do it yourself" and got some interesting hits.

Maybe you could look for a house with a big backyard or vacant lot and see if you can work something out with the owner...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Talking

Thanks a bunch Bill...I must have tried a similar search worded a hundred different ways, but that worked out. I found a place called Cape Marina, in Cape Canaveral. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for and I posted a request for their rates.

If they're too expensive I think I may have to take Mike's suggestion and try to negotiate a private ownership spot. My only concern there would be security of the boat and equipment...it's been a few years since I've lived in Florida, but back when I was stationed there in the Navy it wasn't the most Mayberry of places when it came to trusting the general public...

I'm sure it will all work out for the best though...and soon I'll be another one of those crazy guys up to his ears in Demolition work with no sign of construction beginning soon...I have that tendancy for some reason. I think it's a gene, all of us who disassembled their radios just to see how they worked when we were kids...we all have it, or maybe it's a Navy thing..."if it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

Thanks again, guys.

Thumbs up indian head marina in merritt island

thats where I found my current boat an islander wayfarer 29.thay allow workaboard ,liveaboard, even on the hard dry. (atleast they did when I bought it in 1999)they even allow you to die aboard with out any extra fee.thats what happened to the former owner, poor guy...waz werkin on the boat ....he was pushin' 80...had a heart attact rite on board.the boat was neglected for a few years and needed to be worked on b4 I could get it out.It had a rebuilt a4 sitting on the mounts but not hooked up.I said it was like replacin'a bad tooth with another bad tooth.I had them pull it out....and then I fashioned a real fantastic outboard mount out of galavanized steel pipe fittings.this thing held three outboards, 4-5 hp each, it coulda held 6,took a month of goin'to an'fro'from west palm....but each day I infact worked on it...other people were building boats on the hard dry too.very reasonable rate at that time.less than sumpin'like 175 per month. for a 29 footer..I let them keep the a-4 an'they gave me a break on the slip fees.At first when I told them I wuz buyin that boat....no fees paid since the guy passed .....first thing outta the marina manager's mouth...."so your gunna start payin slip fees?"it wuzznt even in a slip..it wuz tied to the rip rap
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 01-22-2006 at 02:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread