+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Original Pearson Hardware

Exclamation Original Pearson Hardware

NOTICE: At last! We are in contact with the fabricator who has acquired the Rostand patterns for the hardware used on early Pearson yachts. The company is preparing pricing for us on the large window frames, small opening ports and the tiller head fitting. We are asking for prices in bronze, but they will cast in aluminum. Finishing can be from "raw" to completely polished, and they will do chrome. Other hardware will be priced later as requested.

As soon the company responds, we will publish the pricing information and the necessary contacts. We're first in line here, so get your orders ready before this stuff gets advertized in the boating mags.

Way to go Bill! Here's hoping the prices are a bit more resonable than some of the other hardware fabricators I've been running across lately...

Does this mean I should hold off on ordering that tiller head replacement from the association?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Bill

bravo!

bill@ariel231

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    Does this mean I should hold off on ordering that tiller head replacement from the association?
    Umm, yes, I think so . . . But remember, we have the bearing that goes under . . .

Ummm, yeah. And do you know what else is so nice about this group? When you say something stupid, you don't get shot down. You see, Bill could have easily said, "Yo dumb***! We sell a Rudder Post Bearing, not Tiller Head replacement! What, are you numb from the cold up there, or just plain numb? Sure, it's it's in the same general location, but come on..."

Now, if only I'd hit the "search" button and looked for "rudder bearing" I'd have come up with this thread: rudder bearing source or this one: cutlass bearing or even this one: Rudder Bearings, among others - or, I could have taken a moment to re-read the Ariel Association home page and seen that it was indeed a Rudder Post Bearing that I am in need of, not the tiller head...

What a group!
    Last edited by mbd; 01-09-2006 at 07:48 PM.
    Mike

Talking Great

great job Bill!

Look forward to some price info to decide, but thinking about some new window frames.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Mike (#5) sez it:
    These forum has a great civility and humor and patience about it!
    I've tried a couple others, I think in an effort to get into MINUTA I'm addicted to, but leave soon after signing up.

In each case I had joined a forum that seemed to be run by a club of posters with attitudes (not everyone). The most frequent posters (im-posters?) had no uncommon knowledge at all, and just sat on the site like a murder of crows. Kind of OWNED it with caws of bs.

Pretty obvious enduring Ariel/Commanders attract a superior human family.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

Excting news about the small opening ports that I had the priviledge of taking apart on 338. They are precision jewels of beautifully proportioned aluminum art. Wonderful if they could be translated to bronze. They have many pieces and would be expensive. Might have a wider market than the Ariel because the alternatives are either plastic or clunky navy pattern stuff.

Be interesting to compare the bronze 231 deadlight pattern with the Ronstan. The aluminum lights 338 came with are imco much too light and flimsy. All of a sudden having possibly two patterns of bronze deadlights to choose from is pretty close to unbelievable.

The aluminum on the A/Cs lasted as long as it has because it was cast from the proper alloy (Almag). Have to watch these repros!
    Last edited by ebb; 01-10-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Will they have parts for Pearson yachts other than the A/C? I have a Vanguard as well as a Commander and would be interested in parts for both, as I'm sure other Pearson owners would be.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by skylark
    Will they have parts for Pearson yachts other than the A/C? I have a Vanguard as well as a Commander and would be interested in parts for both, as I'm sure other Pearson owners would be.
    Fred
    Fred, I passed on your Web page URL and your E-mail contact to the fabricator, so expect to hear from them in the future. And yes, they have the Rostand patterns for everything the company made for the early Pearsons. As noted, we will publish the price info on the above noted hardware. I'm pretty sure that all of it was used throughout the Pearson line, including the Vanguard. The Ariels got the aluminum frames and the Vanguards got the chrome bronze . . .

Pearson Parts

Hey Gents -

Cup O Tea never made a splash last season but lots of work got done. Will post pictures of the hull including new rudder soon as possible.

Couldn't have done it without all the great information and support from everyone here.

My new rudder cries out for a new tiller head fitting - already received my new bearing. I'm wondering if there is any news or progress on the Pearson parts fabricator.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    Excting news about the small opening ports . . . Wonderful if they could be translated to bronze. . . Be interesting to compare the bronze 231 deadlight pattern with the Ronstan. . . Have to watch these repros!
    #76 has the small opening ports in bronze (purchased from the original company). It also has the fixed frames in bronze. They were cast by Caroll Herrington using the Rostand patterns. Check 'em out the next time you visit.

Bill, I just searched for a Gallery for #76 and couldn't find one. What's up with that?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    Bill, I just searched for a Gallery for #76 and couldn't find one. What's up with that?
    Maika'i is spread amoungst other posts . . . Mostly traveler and track stuff.

commander fixed window frames

Any source yet for replacement commander fixed window frames? Those sure would look nice in bronze...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogle
    Any source yet for replacement commander fixed window frames? Those sure would look nice in bronze...
    We need the dimensions of the frames. Can you (or another Commander owner) please supply them?

+ Reply to Thread