Thread: Deck Fittings, Rebedded

Threaded View

Deck Fittings, Rebedded

It has been pointed out to me that over a perilously short time, every one of the magic bedding compounds, including the Poly sisters, Sulfide and Urethane, all do exactly what they promise never to do - harden, dryout, split, and fail. I know mine sure has. Just pull out your old tube of Juber from last spring; you can crush walnuts with it, right? Sure, they are Operator Sensitive, but even put on correctly, the failure rate of beddings is dismal. And then there is Butyl Tape.

This sticky, resiliant sealant comes in 30' rolls with release tape backing, and has been used for decades in the roofing, glazing, boatbuilding, and many other industries. Generally 3/4 in. wide, with thicknesses from 1/16" on up, this product has been used in hull-deck joints by several builders and supposedly after 25 years in service was still moist and tacky. It is widely used to set large glass panes in their frames, with mechanical fasteners. While it is tacky, it is not an adhesive. There are many durometers available, but the firmest is readily obtained. Common colors are black and grey, and sometimes white.

I have read several articles about Captains using butyl tape to bed deck fittings, from padeyes to winches to tracks, with excellent results, times four years. It hasn't squished out from under, or melted or crumbled. And, it is around $7.00 a roll, enough to do several Ariels.

As some of you may know, I am divorcing my faithful Ariel and have taken up with a wayward Pearson Flyer. Ok, my bad. But this new hottie needs to be properly bedded and I need help from you fine seamen - Whom among you has knowledge of rubber goods, vis a' vis butyl tape? Out with it, Scabrous Dogs.....oh man, I gotta lay off those pirate novels...

Your faithful servant,
    Capt. Dan
    Last edited by Dan Maliszewski; 12-30-2005 at 06:03 PM.
    ()-9