+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabin lights/ LED lights

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    If I decide to go with a tricolor would I also put in side and stern lights? Having them on while motoring at night makes the boat legal. Right?
    Might look at chapter 6 in Chapman. "Power driven vessels must display (1) a masthead light, (2) sidelights and (3) a sternlight." Vessels "less than 12 meters (39.4ft) may display an all-round white light in lieu of the masthead and sternlights. On all power-driven vessels, side lights are required." "All sailboats must carry sidelights (seperate or combined) and a sternlight. Or, these lights can all be combined into a tri-color fixture carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen. When a combined tri-color is used, additional navigation lights must not be displayed." "A sailboat using mechanical propulsion is legally a power-driven vessel. This is true even if the sails are hoisted. At night it should show a white masthead light."

clearly confused

Thanks Bill,
    My interpretation is this (please correct me if it is wrong.)

A/Cs which are under 10 meters -
    and rigged with a tri-color masthead light -
    can steam around (sails up or down) in the dark of night -

with a tri-color (port, starboard, and white stern) turned on.

But, as a motorboat,
    should I have the all-round 'anchor' light on as well?
    I assume this light in the fixture is separate from the three color light(s)
    and is above them in the same fixture. (?)

Is not the all-round masthead white light used only when anchored?

IE, it is correct for 338 to only have the normal tricolor on when under power at night.

It sounds like a green/red pulpit light
    and the pushpit white stern light are used
    as a complete extra system backup. Or
    when the tricolor is not being used. When
    motoring with these lights is the
    masthead all-round white light also ON?

What is unclear is how an allround white
    masthead anchor light can be used on a moving boat. (?)
    Last edited by ebb; 12-21-2005 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    Should I have the all-round 'anchor' light on as well?
    My guess is that It would appear not, since you are NOT anchored. But then again . . .

According to Chapman, each light covers a specific arc of visibility. If this is understood, then the orientation of the vessel at night becomes clear. For example, P&S running lights have an 112.5 degree arc. Steaming lights face forward and cover 225 degree. Stern lights face aft and cover 135 degrees. Combined, the stern and steaming lights do cover a full 360 degrees. An anchor light also covers 360 degrees. . So, . . . ?

+ Reply to Thread