+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: A-50 Revival

Talking

Frank,

Man she is a great looking boat! Really aprpeciate your feedback, and all the great mod's you drempt up and executed.

I really like that Dodger set up, did you use someones plans, or come up with it yourself? Can you give some more detailed photos of it, and a description of how I can copy it?

Thanks@!

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

I'll take a pic tomorrow of the sun shade ...it worked out great.It zips onto the dodger-has 3/4in abs @ center and aft with 2- 1/4in rope tiedowns.Super easy on/off.I put a 'rain catcher' drain in it to feed my water tank....remember I put my water fill close to the bridge deck on the std side.I sent my favorite sail shop measurements (way back I posted a request for a few hatch to boom measurements etc) they sent down the steel frame and paper to make the pattern...was kinda scary sending it all off..kinda cross your fingers and hope for the best.There are inside pockets on the dodger too for gps/binocs etc.I was quite pleased with how it all worked considering the shop was 1500 miles from the boat and never saw her. Mods...in short form...watertank/fill 10...anchor locker mod 2 (was too worried about water getting in-I should have made shelf lower and just angled it forward more-it never took any water,drained nicely but the rode sure 'bunched up' too quick) icebox 10-icebox drain 10 (would drain off cold water from icebox into a lil plastic pail with warm beer in it to pre cool it for the icebox)-bilge deviders 10-double bunk 5 (I made a huge mistake of letting them use new foam in the filler backrests..when put down to use as the bunk they were slightly firmer and not comfortable..but the idea was good)arm rests 10+ (made reading below very comfortable and got used steady as back and arm rests in the cockpit too)-The lil gimbled stove was handy underway and for AM coffee but limited for any "pan" work 6 -Picked up a $39 butane stove at wally world ..it was simple and worked great for breakie and the wok etc 9-new jib bag 0, I asked for snug...way too snug-bilge pumps in/out 10...felt way safer and would give the odd check pump while underway-inside shower 8 ,a lil cramped but better than cool nights in cockpits and private in crowded anchorages...amazing how little water you use with garden style "pump up ' sprayer.A lil hot water spray after a salty day feels GREAT. Can't think of anything else right now

pic of appoaching a bridge on the St Lucie canal
    Attached Images  

oh ya...the drain in the keel from a PO did not leak a drop!! I recomend this highly if you leave your boat stored 'on the hard'. Its nice to know any water getting in - drains out.Real handy if you store it in 'hurricane alley' like I do
    Last edited by frank durant; 03-16-2006 at 07:07 PM.

End of day 1...anchored out at Stuart.Threw some chicken on the BBQ,glass of wine and crashed.Note side pockets on dodger...real handy for binocs,gps etc.Tomorrow the ocean.At my age the magnifying glass is a must.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 03-17-2006 at 04:04 AM.

Jib up....through that entrance the gulf stream awaits.
    Attached Images  

The BIG moment...1st sail !!! I've been 'dating' this ole girl for a long time...the 1st sail was great ! note extra deep 2nd reef point.Although we used 1st reef often , 2nd was only needed once but I was real glad it was there
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 03-17-2006 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
    Frank,

Man she is a great looking boat! Really aprpeciate your feedback, and all the great mod's you drempt up and executed.

I really like that Dodger set up, did you use someones plans, or come up with it yourself? Can you give some more detailed photos of it, and a description of how I can copy it?

Thanks@!

Island Nautical has in house plans for a dodger that looks similar, front zippered window and snaps for the sun shade. Just got one that they had in stock for $600. Custom order is more like 1k. They also have a matching hatch dodger. Sweet.
    I am going to do the double bunk conversion, that coupled with a cockpit double makes enough space for the entire "crew", 3/5s of which are under 4' tall. Great idea on the shower too.

Inspiring work here!

perrils of a queen size bed

[size=3]
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    .....I am going to do the double bunk conversion, that coupled with a cockpit double makes enough space for the entire "crew", 3/5s of which are under 4' tall.....
    [/size]

[size=3]It is a great mod, I love mine. [/size]

[size=3]Just a note on this. Don't undersize the cleats you use for this. Mine is done with 3 1/2" marine ply(high strength, lots of epoxy(?)in the wood). It originally set on 1/2" quarter round oak cleats. It is very easy when going below to step on the corner of one of the boards and your entire weight be placed on a few inches of these cleats (especaly if you are on the hook and the boat is rocking).[/size]

[size=3]I have replaced the 1/2" quarter round with teak strips 5/8" by 1 1/2" that are screwed into the seat cushion fiddles with a dozen or so #10 brass screws.[/size]

[size=3]If this is confusing, I will post a picture.[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Frank

Hats off to you, sir. What a fantastic February it must have been. Revival looks spectacular in the Caribb.

Like everyone else has stated, the new life you breathed into her is exceptional. Fine, fine craftsmanship. I appreciate your honest judgment of the modifications you've done. The comments will help 'steer' some of us in our changes

The dodger not only looks great, but also looks big enough to be practical and usable.

NOTE: will accept all photos of dodger

[size=3]I have replaced the 1/2" quarter round with teak strips 5/8" by 1 1/2" that are screwed into the seat cushion fiddles with a dozen or so #10 brass screws.[/size]

[size=3]If this is confusing, I will post a picture.[/size] [/QUOTE]

I think I get it. I am planning on building Calder's combo cockpit table/bed/grate and could probably use scrap/extra from that project. Could be seperate pieces don't you think? As long as they are wide enough to stabilize each of the three sections.

Tony...here's your pics
    Attached Images  

another one for ya
    Attached Images  

light cut out
    Attached Images  

sun shade pic with drain
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread