Thread: A-50 Revival

stbd settee locker
    Attached Images  

SSB reciever rack

Lil rack for the Sony
    Attached Images  

Here's the double set up
    Attached Images  

Dang Frank! I mean... wow. You must be getting sick of these comments, but damn! Soooooo fine! Keep 'em coming! You're an inspiration.

Where do you store you cockpit double cushion and other pieces? Under the cockpit? Have you done anything creative with that space yet?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I use the V-berth as a garage.Port side has coats behind the bulkhead and the bunk filler boards and table forward.Starboard stores the cockpit cushions.The big center cockpit filler allows a single up there to stbd when needed. PS.. Under the cockpit floor is my watertank..shown back a few pics. Port cockpit locker has life jackets,fenders,docking lines and 2 complete sets of dive gear..tanks,BC's,wetsuits,fins etc.Both Judy and I are certified.Stbd cockpit locker has spare anchors,boat hooks,poles,fishing gear,BBQ storage,extra headsail and lots more room.
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-07-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Frank

Cool boat, In one of your pictures I saw what I took to be a frame for a dodger. Do you have any pictures of it in place?

Bill

(p.s. I'm jealous of your climate down there, the weather machine at the airport near me is reporting 13 KT gusting to 21 KT @ -3C with snow on the ground)

Don't be too jelous of the weather...I'm back home here in Canada until mid January.Approx 4in snow on the ground and snowing as I write this.Temp is about 8 deg.F. I don't have a pic of the dodger on.It is made up but not installed yet.I'll post pics of it as soon as its on.Kinda scary....I made the pattern up myself...hope it works.Gotta tell ya...231 IS beautiful!!! Nice carpentry. Much time and love is apparent!! I'm always in too much of a dam hurry.

where I put the soap?

'n I guess that ain't yer first onboard pressure cooker baked new york cheescake on the cushion there in image #91 - 'mm, no -

so it must be the Hot Seat.

a mini lavac

simple is simply the best.
    You have a right on un complicated, uncompromising way of solving the space problems, the apparent space problems, an Ariel has.

There's a raft of minuta that the use of the builtin sitz shower will create. Or do you propose to stand in the hatch??? Would like to hear what have to say on that issue.

I've invented (in my mind) a 'shower' that would be set up under the companionway. Essentially a tube of soft transparent vinyl CONNECTED (velcro?) to an appropriate pan that would have two levels to collect the grey water and pump it into a waste tank or overboard. Or dump it after. There isn't much room for this here either, but the top could be an open ring like the traditional shower rings over bathtubs of old. Collapsable, of course. The shower? A s.s. garden pressure sprayer set up in the galley or out in the c'pit that would be charged with hot water and fitted with a sprayhead in front of an on/off valve. In the contorted ablutions of ritual wuzu (I insist on a longhandled brush to scrub my back) the bridge and other furniture could be leaned on ( propped and soaped in the soft tent) to get at that leg and what have you. Probably kill myself!
    Get a lot of ideas that are all wet.
    Last edited by ebb; 12-07-2005 at 05:29 PM.

I'll show a pic of what you see there Ebb. It IS a cooker. As for showers...I favour sittin down on a boat...on #50 it is with the lid down on the head(back up to pic#46).I suppose ya could technically stand there with the forward hatch open.I use the 'garden pump spayer' concept too, with a modified head.What ever ya do Ebb...remember the flexable shower curtain track I used...easy to use and fairly cheap.Got it @ boaters world. Could easily bend it in a circle!! When I did my shower sump..I put a Y-valve to the pump-showersump or pump-bilge so either could be pumped from below.
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-07-2005 at 06:33 PM.

There's the 'pressure cooker' Ebb. Its a forspar gimballed stove.Installed it there for several reasons...1- let out the heat 2-handy to use to heat up coffee etc from the cockpit too 3-still allows access to steps 4-keeps counter clear for charts. I have a portable single burner stove for at anchor that sits where the chart erea is,but gets put away when sailing.I stole the 'LED light' idea off someone here a while back.The red setting on the lil light is perfect for night time sailing and chart work.I bought the lil forspar coffee perculater to fit the stove...haven't tried it yet but it should be a nice addition. PS the lil stove comes off its mount in 2 seconds to store away
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-07-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Heres a better shot of the lil light.It tilts and changes from red to white light..great addition that is supposed to be super easy on batteries(again..I stole this idea off this site). The lil cutlery divider was almost an afterthought.Put the hinged piece on so you could 'lock things in' while heeled over
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-08-2005 at 07:43 AM.

Hey bill@ariel231 - there is a nice dodger already on the board. Do a search using the word "dodger" and you should find it.

I really envy you, Frank. Bon Voyage, then!

I've noticed this leaning toward putting the stove 'above the counter'. Interior shots of small euro boats will have a two burner high up. Jim Baldwin has a kerocene burner also hanging. I like it. It demotes the big box range to small cabin reality. Was thnking of making a cave for my k. stove low down, but you have convinced me to put it on the bulkhead.

Course you're ready for the cheesecake, while I still have to make the bloody gimballed casette for the petromax. sigh

Hi Frank -

T'was I who mounted a little LED there on my electrical box. It does work quite good. I'm still looking at other low-consumption light sources.

For Christmas a couple years back, my Ma gave me an LED light that I'd like to find another of - it's a single LED mounted on an approximately 10-12" long flexible conduit/neck which comes out of its battery box. It is powerd by 3 AA's, being a single LED I expect that I'll get several months of light off of the batteries. The flexible neck allows the LED to be pointed anywhere - I'd love to find an implementation of this elsewhere, and be able to wire it straight into the house bank.

Another good source that is already made for 12V is a small 8 watt fluorescent that I found locally. I have seen them in Kmart for US$10 (I got lucky, found mine on closeout for $3 - 2 from Boaters World and 1 at Big Lots). It is a light that is supposed to be powered by 8 AA"s, which works out to 12V. I did wire this straight into house power, and it has been my main cabin light for 5-6 months already, performing flawlessly. I've figured it's power consumption at approx .6A/h, and it does light up the whole cabin. You can get 12V 8 watt marine fluoros at West, but they cost about $70-80. They're "marine", ya know... You do need to disassemble the domestic, non-marine model and solder some leads from the battery pickups to attach to house wiring, but it is a simple job. Knock on wood, I haven't had to change the bulb yet,and I use it for at least 25-30 hours weekly. The brand is GE Sunbeam, it is a closet light which is intended to be mounted with velcro tabs. Its over by the hardware dept.

Last - your little gimballed stove. I've had one of the same for 3-4 years now, and have gotten good service out of it. It has held up well so far, but the spot-welded construction at the gimbals worries me a bit - I always expect those to fail from crevice corrosion. The only thing I don't like a whole lot about it is the pot size - maybe 5-6" in diameter. Hard to find pots that size in retail outlets, though it does come with its own sauce pan and a mini-frying pan. It is very easy to mount/unmount, and I hang mine near the cockpit too, in order to make coffee at sea easier. Still, I would like a stove that I could use different sized pots on. Keeping an eye out for a Baldwin type stove, I'll probably wind up making something.

Keep the pics comin. lol
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany
    Hi Frank -
    Last - your little gimballed stove. . . .The only thing I don't like a whole lot about it is the pot size - maybe 5-6" in diameter. . . Still, I would like a stove that I could use different sized pots on. Keeping an eye out for a Baldwin type stove, I'll probably wind up making something. Keep the pics comin. lol
    There have been several threads on stoves including this one: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=613

Several posts into the thread, there is a bit about swing stoves. Ebb also started a thread on stoves discussing fuel, etc. Difficult I know, but try the search button . . .

+ Reply to Thread