+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: A-50 Revival

Sounds great! I'm especially interested in your "hull mount chain plates". Personally, I think they sound very practical, easy to inspect, and look very "shippy" to boot. Keep the pictures coming!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

kurtbar

Frank,
    Remember your Pink Pearl, don't leave home without it!
    You're at the boat, I believe, installing outboard chainplates. We may have had discussion about this event on another thread. I'm preparing 338's while you are actually doing it.

What are you doing about the main bulkhead. Aussie Geoff's are installed on the aft side. My figuring puts the new location at least 1 1/2" back of its original position. Upper shrouds are on the centerline of the mast. Are you going to move the mast base aft? (My measure says the mast goes off support from the beam, in it's designed position it's only half on the beam.) If not. what is your observation?

All the chainplates aft to avoid the bulkheads and not moving the mast means maybe using Kurt's method of solving the offset by connecting the tops of the new plates with a bar and attaching the shrouds back to the bar in their designed position. Have you another way?

Figure the wider spread is about 3"OA - will the existing rigging still fit?

Aesthetically, are you going to tilt the plates on the hull to line up with the shrouds? With the number of bolts we put in lining them up parallel would be more spiffy and given the small angle, arguably just a strong.?? Gonna bend the tops in? Much easier if them all have the same bend. And if the Kurt Bar is used the loads are further shared by being interconnected. Which might be the settling arguement for having the six shroud plates all perpendicular to the waterline.

In fact the bar would allow the plates to be attached to the hull in their most convenient location. Bar adds unwanted weight and shroud attachments on any cantilevered location would be dangerous. This begs that the forward lower plate be located forward of it's original position. This would allow all rigging connections to be inside the ends of the kurtbar. Sure would like to talk this thru till it got clear!!! Like for instance, what loads are put on the bar? What section would it have to be? Corse I always make things more complicated!!!

Recording this event for us? Hope your weather cooperates!
    Last edited by ebb; 11-03-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Wink

Ebb I'm not back to the boat until approx the 18-19th of nov. I plan on copying our Aussie friends plates. I favour the 'keep it simple-stupid' approach...being of lessor intelligence and failing patiance. I will post pics as I go. Picked up the new cockpit cushions etc yesterday...they look great.Hope they all fit as my favorite sail/cushion maker is up here so he never actually saw the boat...just a piece of paper and my measurements.It's the 'my measurement' thing that scares me.

new cockpit cushions

The work erea was full when I got down to #50(storm boats)...so not much will happen until Jan 15th/06.No power or water available as I putted around , but managed to get a few things done anyway.It was nice just to get back and see her.Back home here for Xmas-newyears ..then back down...launch...Bahamas.I'll post a few pics of the lil bit of progress this trip.These are 'tarp taken off' but no water to wash.
    Attached Images  

filler cushions in

This shows the cockpit filler in place to make a nice double for those warm breeze evenings
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-03-2005 at 01:48 PM.

Solar charger

Here's a great little 'fold up' 12w charger that stows super small and easy!!Bought in Canada @ a "Canadian Tire' store...don't know if available State side ?? I simply tie unto the sunny side cabin hand rail and plug into the lighter socket on the electrical panel
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-04-2005 at 06:13 AM.

Thumbs up great lil charger

here it is unfolded with attachments
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-04-2005 at 06:05 AM.

Ext.Bilge pump

Here is where I decided on for the ext. pump.I can comfortably hold the tiller with my left hand and pump with the right.The handle goes down flush 'out of the way' when not in use.Notice where I put the water fill....not normal , but WAY easier to fill standing in the cockpit than on a side deck !! And easy to rig a drain from the bimini to fill with rain water there too. PS...don't mind the dirt...water wasn't available when I took these pics.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-04-2005 at 02:19 PM.

New backrests

Set in my 'recycled' V-berth cushions as backrests.Makes 2 great little corners for reading.I installed the lights so they would also be in the right spot to read. The oil lamp is actually lots bright on its own.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-05-2005 at 05:03 AM.

Sweet

Another excellent job!
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

A pic of the port side shelves
    Attached Images  

port settee locker
    Attached Images  

Frank. you sure knows bout Revival!
    Nice job bringing her back. First class.
    What a fine fleet happening all around here.
    Really makes it fun.

Start a thread on time management. ok?

Have you tried out that Plastimo yet?
    Have just ordered their Contest 130, and noticed the innovative pump.
    They also have a ladder in a bag that looks like a good safety item.....

Skol!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-05-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Yep Ebb...I dumped water into the bilge...good excuse to clean out the dust.I was impressed with the speed and ease.This is the smaller 1in. model ($89.95 @ west) Not sure about the 'ladder in a bag'...I've never had luck ,even when much younger, boarding using a flimsy type ladder.

pic of stbd settee/shelves
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread