+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: A-50 Revival

Nice, VERY nice!

Frank,

I went all the way back to page one and viewed the transformation as a slide show. That's one great looking redo! The shower is a fantastic idea. I was originally planning on just using a spray bottle in the cockpit, then Aussie Geoff's installed cockpit model came along, but, modesty prevails in your installation. We'll do come sizing up for an 'inside jobbie' here for sure.

The galley! Did I not spout off about a U-shaped galley way back when? Bam! There it is! I LIKE IT! A draining cooler. Simple and efficient. Nice little drop in storage behind it. The table is a great addition too. I always keep trying to locate one on the main bulkhead but never like it there. You may have struck a new chord.

The shelved anchor locker is cool. We'll keep our ears tuned to find out how the drain works out. It sure looks different now compared to when you bought her.

Those humongous berths are great. Inside and out! The v-berth/forward cabin is pretty much the head/storage area anyway, don't you think? I mean, would you want to sleep in the roomy, well ventilated main cabin or crawl into the v-berth? The cockpit berth would be the ultimate...on the right night. Here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes (that's 10,000 mosquitos per boater ) we'd surely need the dodger, bimini, leecloth, screen porch option. (Which I fully intend to make)

Frank, that's one sweet, little boat. How long did it take you to do all of this? Did you do everything right there in the yard or work at home too? I may complain some, well, ok, alot (the wife will verify this) about never getting to work on my boat, but, one nice thing is I get to see the changes other make and gain insight and inspiration from them.

Bless you soul for taking pictures, and Bill's for posting them. Keep 'em coming! Tony G

Frank installed new thru-hull seacocks in ALL places (bronze holding bolts to come).
    Attached Images  

Hull Thickness

Hey Ebb, Frank found 5/8" to 3/4" thickness on #50. Photo was taken a month before the hull thickness discussion (tech forum), just for Frank's own edification.
    Attached Images  

And here, Frank found the bottom of the hull to be 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" thick when he drilled drain holes. Finished repairs with five layers of cloth and West epoxy.
    Attached Images  

Workshop

For those who have asked, here is Frank's "workshop."
    Attached Images  

Wink Shrinkage !!!

He Tony G ...cockpit showers are OK...but in a crowded anchorage on a cool night...well..modesty did prevail. I started wanting a SIMPLE boat with a good ice box,double bunk and inside shower.I did add other things for off shore..this boat WILL be a gulf stream regular.The seacocks,2 eyes for safety harness,extra cockpit drain.bilge pump in cockpit-ext mount-no lifting settee to access,inside bilge pump ,extra deep reef point in main and reef point in jib.This work took my entire holiday. The day I tarped it was the day I started home.Remember , I live 2400 miles from my boat !! It took 19 days...most were late ones , working alone with real 'basic' tools.I did have my "ideas' before I left and even pre-cut a few pieces...they didn't fit!

Frank - beautiful! Really! Did you paint the topsides yourself as well or have it done?

topsides

Mbd...the topsides were painted.A little history.....#50 was derilect and abandoned a Brewers boat yard in LI NY.She had soft decks but decent sails , so their painter took her on as a personal project.He did the decks and paint . He sailed her for a couple of years until a real windy day and his wife and new young son put an end to sailboats.One thing to another and I bought her.The inside and systems had not been done .The name 'revival' was her redemption from the crusher...now the "revival" is getting closer to completion.The message here.....don't let old Ariels go to the crusher.....they are special and can not be replaced. Anything new that compares is $90000 plus !!

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Truly Spectacular

Like to hear more about the cockpit drain (and everything else)

This photo is titled: "Former sump pump drain connected to cockpit."
    Attached Images  

Talking Bill is so quick!!

I fire up the computer at work and it shows the 'cockpit drain' question message ...by the time I pull up the Ariel site..Bill already has the pic posted !! Blew me away !! Are you looking for a job Bill ??? The through hull was already there and above the waterline so rather than glass it over , I made it into an additional drain.Put another layer of cloth/epoxy around the rudder shaft tube while I was down there.

Wink #37 springy cockpit floor...

# 37 complained of a 'soft cockpit floor'. Picture #68 shows the glassed in strips run for and aft. Had they run side to side I think all our cockpit floors would have been a lot less 'springy'. I imagine all Ariels suffer from this unless Pearson changed how they supported them on later models.I glassed in a 1x3 from side to side near the drains and found it helped a lot. #50
    Last edited by frank durant; 05-10-2005 at 02:47 PM.

cockpit sole

The cockpit deck has a transvers piece of 3/4' plywood with the center scrolled out (an inverted 'U') jammed in underneath about halfway along - that works like a bridge. The longitudinal ply strip stiffeners make sense that way. When I took it out the sole did become springy. That strange simple funky piece of afterthought did a lot of work there. You can see it in a number of photos. It shouldn't be taken out unless you are going to upgrade.

I think 338's originally may have had a couple pieces of matt and goop holding it in place. Had a couple pieces of ply under the legs against the hull acting as wedges. It was loose when I got the boat. But it knew its place, could always knock it back.

I remember seeing it under Geoff's cockpit in one of his shots. #11 in Ebb's you can see a leg. Everybody's must have this brace

as it is the only thing that stablizes the whole bloody cockpit.

Take it away and you'll be surprised one day to find out what 'integrity' is all about.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-11-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Hey Frank - are you headed to the Bahamas in Revival this winter??
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I plan on it.Right now I'm a little worried as revival is real close to 'wilma' in central Forida.I've got new hull mount chain plates made up,a dodger,main cover and jib bag,cushions covered etc and I plan to go down approx Nov 16 to complete things.I'm bringing the standing rigging home with me in early Dec. to have it replaced(afraid to have it made off of book measurements just in case) I'll go back down in mid Jan. to install the rigging ,step the mast and sail #50 for the 1st time in 32mths of ownership.CAN"T WAIT !!! A couple of shake down sails and we are off to the Abacos until early April.Can't waite for that either.Seriously cosidering paying the 27% duty and keeping her there.Would be TOO easy to fly right there and be exploring day one of holiday.

+ Reply to Thread