+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: A-50 Revival

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration Frank!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Nice work Frank. Keep 'em coming

I spent a few days in Ft Lauderdale.Had to buy a new anchor.A real windy night at West Palm left it looking like a pretzel...but it HELD.I was asleep when the wind picked up and then too lazy/sleepy to get out the plow anchor.
    Attached Images  

Planned a crossing to Bimini from the end of Key Biscayne,Florida keys.There is a great lil mini harbour there called 'no name bay. The sun set over biscayne bay with the little huts on stilts is beautiful
    Attached Images  

was gettin dark when I got this pic of the lighthouse at the S end of Key Biscayne
    Attached Images  

I got up at 1 15 am..left at 1 30 am to cross the 'stream' to Bimini.Called for 5-10 knt winds from s to se. Ended up with e wind right on the nose and steadily increasing ! Could not beat se into the 4 1/2 knt current....shot n if tried to beat ne !! After 10 hrs motor sailing into steeper seas ,I realized I would not make it as I only had 2 galls fuel left.ONLY 12 miles to go but had to abort the crossing.The total frustration of motoring for 10hrs in steep waves for nothing changed to excitement as the wind kept growing(and the seas)...I had one of THEE MOST enjoyable sails of my life as 'Revival picked up her skirt' and simply FLEW n on a beam and later a broad reach !!! Man these ole girls love a reach !! They simply defy their waterline !! This was the day my chart plotter showed 11.4 SOG breifly on one 'surfing surge' ...with the help of the gulf stream.Glad to have the 2nd reef that day....sailed ALL the way back to west Palm !!
    Attached Images  

This 'gulf stream moment' brought to you by Revival.Ever notice how waves never look as big in pictures...not even close ???
    Attached Images  

Back at West Palm Beach , I came across a manatee while exploring in my dingy
    Attached Images  

They are so slow that they grow 'green algea' on their backs !
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 03-22-2006 at 06:58 PM.

One more aborted attempt to cross to West end this time...again , strong E winds....decided to go S to Ft lauderdale and try from there. Left Ft Lauderdale at 7pm ,weather window was perfect !! CALM !! I already posted about the phospherous and moon rise that night....here is a pic of "sunrise" approx 50 knm out.Note how calm the stream is.
    Attached Images  

MADE IT !! The narrow entrance to Port Lucaya Grand Bahama Island. Entered at 3pm after a 20hr 84 knm crossing and being awake for 33hrs.....yep,I was tired but still had to clear customs and arrange dockage before sleep
    Attached Images  

All cleared ,tied up and flying the flag of the Bahamas...now I can sleep.Note where I stored the inflatable on all major crossings
    Attached Images  

Frank, I just joined this forum to first of all congratulate you on the grand revival, then on your fine voyage! Last night I had to read your whole thread no matter what. The innovations like the shower, beds, etc were just terrific. Sure you had some support, but you put it all together while commuting from Canada! Hope you'll keep us updated. All The Best!

P.S I'm a retired fellow whose been thinking about living aboard in Sausalito, CA. You Pearson owners are getting under my skin with these lovely boats. It started with Tim w/Triton 381, then Epiphany with his Ariel, Atom, the Commander traveling Chicago to SF, and now your wonderful boat. Somehow you made it sound easy, but I know you put in a load of elbow grease as well skill. I admire you for it.
    Last edited by xroyal; 03-24-2006 at 08:40 AM.

I've been solo until now.Judy is not yet retired so she flew in once I made it over.
    Attached Images  

Exclamation

Whell, guess we know about motivation now too!

+ Reply to Thread