+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-50 Revival

Hybrid View

This photo is titled: "Former sump pump drain connected to cockpit."
    Attached Images  

Talking Bill is so quick!!

I fire up the computer at work and it shows the 'cockpit drain' question message ...by the time I pull up the Ariel site..Bill already has the pic posted !! Blew me away !! Are you looking for a job Bill ??? The through hull was already there and above the waterline so rather than glass it over , I made it into an additional drain.Put another layer of cloth/epoxy around the rudder shaft tube while I was down there.

Wink #37 springy cockpit floor...

# 37 complained of a 'soft cockpit floor'. Picture #68 shows the glassed in strips run for and aft. Had they run side to side I think all our cockpit floors would have been a lot less 'springy'. I imagine all Ariels suffer from this unless Pearson changed how they supported them on later models.I glassed in a 1x3 from side to side near the drains and found it helped a lot. #50
    Last edited by frank durant; 05-10-2005 at 02:47 PM.

cockpit sole

The cockpit deck has a transvers piece of 3/4' plywood with the center scrolled out (an inverted 'U') jammed in underneath about halfway along - that works like a bridge. The longitudinal ply strip stiffeners make sense that way. When I took it out the sole did become springy. That strange simple funky piece of afterthought did a lot of work there. You can see it in a number of photos. It shouldn't be taken out unless you are going to upgrade.

I think 338's originally may have had a couple pieces of matt and goop holding it in place. Had a couple pieces of ply under the legs against the hull acting as wedges. It was loose when I got the boat. But it knew its place, could always knock it back.

I remember seeing it under Geoff's cockpit in one of his shots. #11 in Ebb's you can see a leg. Everybody's must have this brace

as it is the only thing that stablizes the whole bloody cockpit.

Take it away and you'll be surprised one day to find out what 'integrity' is all about.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-11-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Hey Frank - are you headed to the Bahamas in Revival this winter??
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I plan on it.Right now I'm a little worried as revival is real close to 'wilma' in central Forida.I've got new hull mount chain plates made up,a dodger,main cover and jib bag,cushions covered etc and I plan to go down approx Nov 16 to complete things.I'm bringing the standing rigging home with me in early Dec. to have it replaced(afraid to have it made off of book measurements just in case) I'll go back down in mid Jan. to install the rigging ,step the mast and sail #50 for the 1st time in 32mths of ownership.CAN"T WAIT !!! A couple of shake down sails and we are off to the Abacos until early April.Can't waite for that either.Seriously cosidering paying the 27% duty and keeping her there.Would be TOO easy to fly right there and be exploring day one of holiday.

Sounds great! I'm especially interested in your "hull mount chain plates". Personally, I think they sound very practical, easy to inspect, and look very "shippy" to boot. Keep the pictures coming!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread