+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: A-50 Revival

Kurt..I use one of those lil butane $39.99 single burner for bacon/eggs.Use a force 10 BBQ the most(small size is way easier on propane) so the only time the butane comes out is ussualy breakfast.I even looked back to credit someone(you) for the LED idea....couldn't find the post.Thanks!! Thats the great thing about this and other sites...sharing ideas.My anchor locker...Triton site,my galley and board with barometer etc.over the door were all inspired by Sirrocco...the cockpit bunk and shower-the Pardey's and so on.Ya get the inspiration elsewhere,modify it to your own needs and there it is.Hope we ALL keep sharing.....more ideas for me to steal!!!Here's a galley pic with the lil dish rack I added.Paper towels are handy there to cockpit too
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-08-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frank durant
    Hope we ALL keep sharing.....more ideas for me to steal!!!
    LOL! As I walked the CrewDogs up shoreside for their constitutional this morn, I was actively contemplating "stealing" *your* idea with the mounted 5 Day cooler for an icebox. It's a gem of an idea, and I can't see any real reason not to use it, except that I may get more efficient space usage by building an icebox into the shape available.

Bill - I included the above stove info because I felt it was relevant to the discussion Frank and Ebb were having about that particular brand/model. If said info is too redundant here, feel free to remove, move, or edit it. This is your ship...

PS - Frank - what is the cleat at the top of the steps for? Did I miss that in a prior discussion?
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Wink

Kurt...I put 1" foil sided foam under and on 3 sides of the cooler...blew 2cans of foam around the rest.Hooked a hose up for a drain..comes out inside the companionway...sets up on a cup hook.When ya want to chill a white wine , simply drain off a lil cold water into a jug holding the bottle !! (stole that from the Pardeys too...can see in a pic #50 way back) oh ya...the cleat..NO CLUE..po..but it makes a good handle for removing the step !
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-11-2005 at 04:55 PM.

here's one lookin aft
    Attached Images  

table up..folded out. "note of interest"..I took a piece of teak off the interior and a bare piece of mahagany plywood in to my favorite paint supplier.Sue made me up a stain she said would be 'pretty close'. I'm real happy the way my new pieces match the old ones...age and different wood to boot.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-08-2005 at 03:25 PM.

renewal resource

Frank,
    You get more done in 4 days than some people do in four years!
    Just did a quick scan of your thread here.
    The project can only be an inspiration to a new owner or prospective buyer of a tired Ariel in how practical and quick a renovation can be done. Or anybody waiting to get started because it looks like too much. Only thing missing are full size tracing plans.

Sure looks like a nice, spiffy, open, airy feeling you got there - with minimal changes to the original. Minimal dollars. Yet a bunch of fine innovations - like a shower in the master store room, table for 4 in the main saloon, easy and roomy double conversion, and right-on foam-in cooler idea,

Truly a happening Revival!

I believe an important rigging upgrade to consider for every Ariel is placing the chainplates on the outside of the hull. For all the reasons discussed in the forum. You got to share with us how you do it, ok?
    Last edited by ebb; 12-09-2005 at 06:47 AM.

Red face

Ebb Thanks for the comments.We both know how dam frustrating working on these boats can be.I am really torn about chain plates at this time.I believe ext mount IS the best-safest-most problem free.Stronger AND no more delamination with water getting in around flexing thru-deck plates. My personal problem is TIME.On one side...I want the plates on and new standing rigging.The plates are made.I did them out of 316SS.The mast is down...PERFECT time. BUT...I don't want to rush..in my mind there there should be glass work involved(back-up hull-bulkhead re-enforcing)..and I REALLY REALLY want to sail to the Bahamas this year.It will depend when I can get out of here I guess and how I feel when I get to revival.In this moment...I just want to sail!!!

OB controls

My OB well was modified by a PO.When I went to drop in my 6hp evinrude 'yacht twin' there was no way the throttle tiller was going to go thru the normal access panel.The hole in the aft lid by a PO now made sence.It ain't pretty but works. The yacht twins F_N_R is at the front of the engine...not the side ...so all controls are easy access.I made the hole on the aft deck a lil bigger for better grip.The proper screw on cap can be used when OB not in use.See page 1 , pic 7 for how it was when when purchased
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 12-16-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frank durant
    When I went to drop in my 6hp evinrude 'yacht twin' there was no way the throttle tiller was going to go thru the normal access panel.
    As noted elsewhere, the throttle is used in the vertical position with the hatch open -- not through the access panel. That gives you access to the clamping screws and is where the starting lanyard goes when you pull (unless you have one the of the new vertical pull ob models).

And, as discussed elsewhere, there is a choking problem when running the engine with the hatch closed due to the upper auxillary exhaust port on most engines.

guess I should have used the 'search button' before I made the hole bigger.

Revival is back

Revival is back from 'winter cruise 06'.After many many hours of work,with some intended projects not completed,Revival was finally launched after a over 2yrs on the hard on Feb.5th.Since then we have travelled from Indiantown on the St.Lucie canal in Florida to Stuart-West Palm(Riviera Beach)-Ft.Lauderdale-S end of Key Biscayne-Failed attempt to Bimini Bahamas with strong E wind on the nose,then an AMAZING sail all the way back to West Palm!-Ft Lauderdale-Port Lucaya Bahamas (MADE IT)-West end-Great Sale Cay-AllansPensacola Cay-Spanish Cay-Manjack Cay-Green Turtle Cay-Manjack Cay-

AllansPensacola-Great saleCay-West End-Stuart Fl.-Indian town.A great tour.I will post more pics and info.I would have liked to have put on my new chain plates and standing rigging ,but in the end ,time and the strong desire to get back on the water won out. These are fine lil ocean boats! The day of my failed attempt was 25-30kn winds with much stonger gusts and 10-12ft seas with the odd set much higher.Sounds like a normal summer day for you SF Bay guys.Revival seemed 'in her element'..double reefed main,she just romped along.Thanks Carl.Her shallow draft made her a fine Bahamas boat and she drew compliments everywhere she went. Pic-FINALLY in the water !!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 03-16-2006 at 07:39 AM.

install the new dodger day
    Attached Images  

New sun shade rolled out
    Attached Images  

Wow! She is a real looker, Frank.

Al

+ Reply to Thread