+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inboard Issues

Mike, thanks as always!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    BTW , the Vetus coupling doesn't add any length to the drive train .
    I'll get back to you in the spring on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    At 2100 rpms your are not even getting 13hp. That is a huge prop for a small boat.
    This is where I started. My local boatyard said the same thing and I was planning on downsizing until I ran the figures through the prop calculators.

I suppose one route to go, after rewiring the tachometer, is to find a smaller cheap prop somewhere and see how that does next season. I'd hate to muck it up so bad that it'd force a haulout to replace the prop - the season is short enough as it is.

Thanks again.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

BTW, I'd really like to hear from other Ariel/Commander/Triton inboard owners what their setups are. (Engine HP/RPM, transmission ratio, prop size/pitch)

Any info appreciated!
    Mike

What prop calculators did you use ?
    I did the same thing and you see what I got .

My engine specs:
    Yanmar 2GM 13 HP @ 3400 RPM, 15 HP @ 3600 RPM
    Trans: 2.62:1

Michigan Wheel: http://miwheel.com/MIWheel/PropAnaly...is/InboOne.asp

Results: "Mike, according to my calculations, your current 13 x 11 three blade prop should allow the engine to reach its maximum rated RPM (it is nearly the same as the theoretical size, based on an engine rated at 15 HP @ 3600 using a 2.62 to 1 reduction gear, and a top speed of 5.5 knots)... I am reluctant to suggest a 13 x 6 or 13 x 7, which it appears is what you need based on the reported current performance and propeller size..."

Gori Propeller: http://www.gori-propeller.dk/

Results:
    Calculated Propeller
    Two Blade : 15" x 12" RH
    Three Blade: 15" x 11" x 3 RH
    Warning: There is an unusual big difference between the estimated hullspeed of your boat, your previous topspeed under power and the expected speed. The propeller sizing you get here might need modification, please contact us before ordering.

Carl's Sailing Calculator: http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

Results: This was an easy one, no emails, no browser forms, just punch in the numbers. Bottom of the page, pick your boat, enter HP and prop type. I entered 15 HP and a 2-bladed prop and got 21.4" on this one!!

Something is not adding up. I must be doing something wrong here...
    Mike

The latest: I spoke with an engineer at a local prop shop who is the supplier for the new Sabers. Very informative. I'm sure I won't do it justice, and have probably already forgotten more n this topic than I'll ever learn about it.

Ideally, you start with an engine with the HP appropriate for the boat. My 15HP @ 3600 RPM is too big, but that won't be changing anytime soon (hopefully).

Most likely, the tachometer is incorrect, and/or my observations are incomplete. I never ran it at full throttle long enough to see if it would get to 3600 RPM, and I'm also not sure if I reach RPM in idle.

But, bottom line, it is better to "under work" the engine than "over work" it, and based on the size and prop, that's what it looks like I'm doing. He said it could be pitched more to make better use of the RPMs, but it's probably not necessary given how I use to boat - i.e. simply getting in and out of the marina.

I'll see how it does next season and watch it closer now that I'm more aware of the issue.

BTW, he didn't recommend bottom painting props because of the additional metals you're introducing to the area. The PO painted mine, and it'll be cleaned up before the season starts. My zinc was obliterated after just a few months in the water...

As always, thanks everyone for your input!
    Last edited by mbd; 12-29-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread