+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer And Engine questions

Trailer And Engine questions

I am strongly considering getting an Ariel, since I am a traditional kind of guy. I like the appearance and I hope stability of the Ariel design. But I have two important questions:

1. Most boats this size don't have trailers, but I will want one. I don't want to be stuck in the water or required to pay yard fees for storage... So is there a good source for a trailer for this boat? Are there ready to use plans to match the hull?

2. There was an "Option" for an inboard engine. It appears that an Atomic-4 was used. Can you add an inboard easily to any Ariel or must in come from the factory fitted for one?

Thanks.

For trailer information, click on "search" and type in trailer.

Inboard models have false work covering prop aperature part of hull, and a section strapped into the rudder on the other side. There are drawings of the engine installation in the manual, but conversion likely will be costly.

New member Bill (bill@ariel231) has an Ariel that has gone through several power plant changes. Maybe he would have some thoughts.

I got mine last summer. It's an inboard model and has been repowered some time ago with a diesel but it hasn't been without some issues. There is something to be said for the simplicity of an outboard - but then, there's something to be said for the convenience of an inboard. It's my first inboard and I had a short season, so the jury is still out...

But if you've got one type in mind, stick around and one will show up sooner or later. There was an Ariel with a diesel and a trailer in PA posted a while ago - probably a bit far for you, but hey, you never know. Just comb through the "General/Off-Topic" thread.

These are great little boats. GET ONE!

Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

for trailers, you might want to visit Triad Trailer (http://www.triadtrailers.com) I've seen a couple of their trailers in the area carrying old pearson tritons and a CD25D. I'd get one but my F150 isn't up to the task (maybe the next truck).

In the engine side, the best written resource I've seen describing the steps of repowering early pearsons is Dan Spurrs "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat". It covers engine bed construction shaft alignment, and the peculiarities of the full keel Pearson Triton & Vanguard. I found very helpful in repowering my boat.

I've repowered Periwinkle (Ariel231) with a Westerbeke 20B2 (18Hp). The two big tricks were shaft alignment to the new engine beds and where to place the wet exhaust... The proceedure for laying the engine beds is outlined in Spurr's book. The first step in establishing engine location (after installing the shaft log) is to run a wire from the outside center of the shaft log to the forward end of the cabin to establish the centerline of the propeller shaft. From this reference line, the location and slope of the engine beds can be established. One other aid in this process is to build a "2D" mockup of the engine to help establish the clearance around the engine and visualize early in the layout process where you will collide with existing bulkheads & cabinets...

That said, it's a heck of a fun 3D puzzle to stuff a new engine, fuel system and wet exhaust in an ariel. Were I to do it again, I'd recommend something in the 12Hp range (westerbeke or yanmar). The 18Hp works just fine but with the propeller appature limiting me to a 2 blade 12x12 prop its overkill. I expect 10-12 Hp is all that is required.

Bill
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-07-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Lightbulb On shaft alignment

If you cant get it just right , get a Vetus shaft coupler . It allows alignment to be several degrees off . I know of a boat with dual diesels and they had to be kept horizontal for lube reasons , two Vetus couplers allowed the shafts to exit at a down angle . Problem solved , but not cheap !

Vetus may be hard to find if you aren't in the Netherlands, so try Federal and there are a few others . Vetus is my personal choice .

BTW , I have a small Vetus coupler tucked away in the far reaches of my shop . I could be talked out of it . It was installed on an Atomic 4 and then "repro-ed" when the client wouldn't pay his yard bills , " no cash, no splash " ( in 12" letters over the shop door) . The one I have is good for minor mis-alignment and vibration control . I'll post the spec's when I find it and dig it out of the parts locker .

Quote Originally Posted by bill@ariel231
    I'd recommend something in the 12Hp range . . . The 18Hp works just fine but with the propeller appature limiting me to a 2x12 prop its overkill. I expect 10-12 Hp is all that is required. Bill
    Sounds to me like the Beta fits the bill. http://www.betamarinenc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    If you cant get it just right , get a Vetus shaft coupler . It allows alignment to be several degrees off ...
    This brings up a few questions I have regarding my setup. I started a new thread so as not to hi-jack this one. Inboard Issues
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread