+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A-231 Periwinkle

All of that easy access on the front and side is no help reaching the transmission. This collage shows the access from the port side locker. Back when Alyce and I first resurrected A-231, fitting the Westerbeke into this small space was an interesting puzzle. As you can see, it just fits. The biggest obstacle to reaching the gearbox is the water lift muffler. The muffler comes out with a couple of hose clamps and the removal of the shock cord strap.

with the muffler in the cockpit we have fair access to the shaft coupling and the bell housing and shift linkage... 3 machine screws on the shift linkage, 4 bolts on the coupling and 6 bolts on the bell housing. with that and a little boatyard vernacular (i.e. ^&#*!@#$*), the gearbox was free in a matter of an hour.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-31-2008 at 05:25 AM.

with the hardware moved to the new gearbox it was time to reassemble.

there is one small change this go-around.. a new shaft coupling (from PYI)

that's a full day's work... the stuffing box will be next.

punch list to go:
    1. stuffing box
    2. rudder inspection and repair
    3. rubrail varnish
    4. bottom paint
    5. shaft zinc
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-30-2008 at 07:49 PM.

That's looking great, Bill. The access you have - must be very nice! My last boat had an inboard, it was installed by the double-jointed midget mechanic that does those things, and it was all hard to get to.

With all that Ferrari red, you oughta put some matching chrome on that engine.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

thanks. access is not as good as it looks on film.. i occasionally get stuck in there when i need to go in head first.

Sheesh! You go Bill! I don't think I can even get to my boat yet! Your engine looks freshly painted too. What did you use?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Bill,
    I was looking hard to see if you have a vented loop in front of the cooling water injection into the exhaust elbow. I have an old Yanmar in A416 which is mostly below the waterline (the exhaust elbow is above WL). Whoever did the install did not put in a vented loop. It has not been a problem but the books all indicate that there should be one.

Access is great to mine if you only need one hand to do the job....

Both the intake and the exhaust have vented loops. The intake loop runs from the heat exchanger to the vent in the starboard locker then to the exhaust elbow (its the red hose)

as for mike's question..."Your engine looks freshly painted too. What did you use?" . The answer is engine block paint from the hardware store (chevy red) for the transmission, the engine is just retouched where the paint had chipped.
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Launch day 2008

Isn't this Periwinkle's launch day? Feel free to report in and post lots of pics to inspire those of us still on the hard.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

mike

i splashed yesterday.. 'still need to do some cleanup and varnish. Pictures to follow.

Periwinkle made her first trip off the dock on last saturday (apr 19th). not to many boats in the water yet at the marina...
    Attached Images  

we got to try out the new main... I like the full top batten and the loose foot. A couple details like the batten pockets need attention (maybe some velcro) and i'll add a pair of SS rings to the cringles at the luff to make reefing easier like our old main.
    Attached Images  

not much traffic in the upper bay today. 1 power boat and 1 sailboat...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 04-23-2008 at 07:33 PM.

all in all a pretty nice day. although it's clear i still have varnishing to do before the season really gets underway.
    Attached Images  

What a cool area to sail! Seems like you'd have lots of desitinations / nooks and crannies to explore. http://cdmo.baruch.sc.edu/QueryPages...fm?Site_ID=nar

Agreed there are a lot of great places to hang out. Good place for 'round the buoy racing (lots of fleets to choose from). The wind is very predictable for the Newport Tuesday night series (230@10 to 15 kts all summer).
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 04-25-2008 at 06:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread