+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A-231 Periwinkle

One would think you would have picked that Honda up on RADAR and prevented the crash... (Click Here)

Looking good! It must be nice to at least hear water splashing against the hull as you wedge yourself into those netherland regions of the boat.

Tim

I never expected I'd need to "check my 6" while I was parked at the ATM. Although I got a dent in the back bumper, the Honda was a write-off. The good news; nobody hurt, no coffee spilled.

Have you set a launch date for A-24?

cheers,
    Bill

We are shooting for Saturday the 16th. My buddy and I will be trailering her to Newburyport from my house in Lee which is about 150 miles apart. I have done the trip with my Typhoon about ten times, but this trip ought to be interesting. She will be launched and motored down river to the yacht club where I will have a couple eager (ane naive) helpers to put my mast up via a gin pole attached to the club's flag pole. In a perfect world I will be spending that Saturday night drinking a Sam (or many) under the moonlight with my mast up at my mooring. We plan to stay the weekend then head back to work for a couple days, then my wife and I are off until the end of August. We'll head back to the boat that Tuesday with our son and take it from there. We plan to sail as much as A-24 allows us too. She has not been in the water in ten years and although I am combing her over, things happen. If all goes well, se'll be bumping around the local spots and cap the summer off with a mini Maine cruise. Lots of excitement these days, lots of unknowns. One step at a time... I wish I had a RADAR they come in handy up my way.

While we are on the subject of hunting for as yet undiscovered Ariels and Commanders (possible future members).... Alyce and I thought we'd stop by Bristol to see if we could get some better pictures of A-250 (posted in the A-250 thread). As a bonus we found this well kept Commander, we didn't get the hull number but her name is "Banjo": A pretty boat and yes that's her original gel coat (we have a friend whose Ensign shares the same color).
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 10-13-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: better image quality

Shortly after that picture was taken we were at the second reef point on the main and getting kind of wet. Much different story today, just 10-15kts. That's Alyce's Dad doing the driving:
    Attached Images  

Perfect day to play with the spinnaker... GPS recorded 6.7kts (SOG). This was at slack tide so i"m comfortable it was pretty close to speed thru water.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 10-07-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Burr.. time to wrap up the boat for another winter.

I must be slowing down, this year's winterizing, gear cleanup, erecting the frame and tossing on the canvas took most of the day.
    Attached Images  

The cover will come off again at the idles of march..

in the mean time i can dream about sailing, while the winter projects start... leaking gearbox, new tiller, rev 2 on the radar mast, a new main, and maybe a working jib (a melges 24 looks to be about right )
    Attached Images  

Looks like you've already got the bottom prepped for new paint in the Spring! No wonder it took you a whole day. Spiffy cover too!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I wish i was that far ahead, the bottom is still painted (Gray), but the power wash took most of it off. It will need a couples hour's prep for paint some time this winter. It was the frame for the cover that consumed a good part of the day. The frame is just 1/2" pvc conduit, really it's just a shelter from rain & wind, as we never see the snow load you probably get in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by bill@ariel231 View Post
    I wish i was that far ahead, the bottom is still painted (Gray), but the power wash took most of it off. It will need a couples hour's prep for paint some time this winter.
    Bill, besides pressure washing the surface clean and free of debris, what other prep is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bill@ariel231 View Post
    It was the frame for the cover that consumed a good part of the day. The frame is just 1/2" pvc conduit, really it's just a shelter from rain & wind, as we never see the snow load you probably get in Maine.
    Don't discount the ocean-effect snow you guys can get down there. A stiff northeast wind for a few days leads to a dumping.

BTW- I like your boat, it's always nice to see pictures.

Tim

thanks, I usually hit the bottom with a random orbit sander with 60 grit paper out of habit as much as anything (every nano-knot helps). Last year I stripped most of the paint off the bottom so the comming year should be easy.

As for snow.. we do occasionally get 6-12 inches but it doesn't stay long, the cover usually sags a bit before shaking off the snow on the next sunny day. Also the boom & spinnaker pole are my ridge poles so the cover doesn't move as much as the light weight frame materials might imply.

cheers,
    Bill

Must be the gray bottom paint, because it looks like you're right down to the gel coat on that bottom.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

two weeks to the launch window... i'd better get moving on preping the bottom:

a couple minutes with the long handle scraper....

a couple more hours with the random orbit sander and we are ready for paint!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-31-2008 at 05:26 PM.

With the easy part out of the way, saturday was spent on the knuckle busting project for this year; a transmission swap (just a precaution really it worked fine just leaked a bit)... but it's a good excuse for a tour of the engine bay on A-231.

here are the sides with easy access (the front side and the view from under the ice box)
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread