+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A-231 Periwinkle

Talking Fantastic!

Bill,

What a great job you have done! Your workmanship is top notch!

I just picked up that same Bomar hatch 2 weeks ago, when I find the 'round tuit' I will be looking for more info on exactly how you built up that mount.

Great boat!

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    Where did you get that two-part pushpit - if it can be called that? Or would it be stern-quarter lifeline stanchions or something? Anyway, how do you like them? .

I found the two part stern rail (new) in a consignment shop. The manufacturer's label read "High Seas" (never had any luck finding a web site that matched the label). The installation was probably easier than a single piece, the only mod was that I needed to shorten the aft most column.

The remains of the label for the stern rail show the following mfr address:

High Seas
    4861 24th Avenue
    Port Huron, MI 48060
    313-385-4411

I like the two piece version, it doesn't get in the way when boarding over the stern (at the dock or by ladder when out of the water)

thanks for the kind words,
    bill@ariel231
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-15-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Exclamation

You do some dazzling carpentry there, Bill. Thanks for sharing.
    Teak rubrail.... that's real class. Great idea, nice work on that V-berth grate.

Gladdens the eye!

Compass cover does double duty for grog, correct?

Talking

Aye grog or gruel. depends on me mood....

Welcome, Bill 3

Verrry nice vessel you have there - top notch work - I was also wondering about the split pushpit she has.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

periwinkle is wrapped up for a short hibernation. As time permits, this winters projects will include mounting the new port light frames... ...I'm starting to think about adding a radar mount sometime next year. Has anyone tried a removable stern rail mount? The building blocks in my garage are a 2.5" aluminum tube and some spinnaker car toggles...

A festive new year to all....

bill@ariel231
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-16-2005 at 09:38 AM.

The snow is melting, the RedSox are playing baseball in Florida... humm.... must be time to get the boat cover off. It's time to install the new portlights (covered in the technical discussion under the "Large Portlights" thread http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1227 ), lifelines, zincs and bottom paint.

Here we are two days into the process....Just three weeks till launch.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 04-19-2006 at 09:38 AM.

I had a couple email requests for details on A-231's stern rail attached are some photos:
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 06-21-2006 at 05:48 PM.

... and a dimensioned sketch if anyone is heading to a welding shop:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 06-21-2006 at 05:52 PM.

There have been a couple of threads on the site related to coaming repair. While I haven't had to deal with rotten wood, 40 years of abuse left A-231 with a couple of splits on the port side coaming. These were fixed with a couple of dutchmen replacing the splintered and torn sections.

As you can see, the color match isn't perfect but the original fabric of the boat is still in place

here is the repair to the torn screw hole on the forward edge:
    Attached Images  

the repair to the aft end of the coaming was needed where a split occured along the line of fastners. originally I just glued this with epoxy, but the coaming split again right next to the seam. In the end a whole section was cut out and a new piece glued on....
    Attached Images  

The technique is shown in the sketch below. I tend to use a circular saw to rough out the openings for new material. Other more careful folks use a router or chisel...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 06-21-2006 at 06:23 PM.

bill,
    when 338's new coamings go in - and having seen so many coamings split at exactly this place - think I will drill in thru the bottom edge 3 or 4 holes to glue in dowels of the same material, mahogany in my case.

Think the split occurs from the upper portion of the coaming being free standing. Someone could design a nice curvey block that could be lagged into the deck and screwd to the coaming that would help keep it from bending outward. Wish I could add a drawing here!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Mysterious cleat and line going forward to the coaming post. What's happnin there?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    I'm also intrigued by the quarter rails with the stern wide open. What's happnin here? Are you berthed with stern access? Does look cool! Thanks for the cad and measures!

Mysterious cleat and line going forward to the coaming post. What's happnin there?
    I noticed in the earlier post, that is his furling line. Pure genus! I love it.

Mine is strung outboard, with fairleads on the bow pulpit (like most bosts I have seen) and I regularly step on (read roll off of) the line when going forward.

Might borrow that one!

Add my voice to the choris of 'Great Job!'

OBTW, look how thick the glass is laid up under the keel in this shot.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Bill, thanks for the pics and the woodworking 101 drawings! Very helpful to those of us challenged in these matters...

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    ...think I will drill in thru the bottom edge 3 or 4 holes to glue in dowels of the same material...
    Why the SAME material? They'll be hidden, so couldn't you use some kind of indestructible wood or other material? Good idea, BTW, think I'll steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    Roller furling line?

Doh! I see Craig snuck his post in!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread