+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A-231 Periwinkle

A-231 Periwinkle

Please welcome (another) Bill and his Ariel #231 PERIWINKLE. According to Bill, the yacht was rescued from dumpster in 1996 and restored. It also has an interesting auxiliary power history that Bill will relate as time permits.
    Attached Images  

Welcome Bill! Now that's a great pic! Sheer poetry...
    Last edited by mbd; 12-01-2005 at 08:04 PM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

welcome 'new Bill' don't know much about ya yet...but I'm dammed impressed with your photographer !! GREAT SHOT !! Keep them coming

Alyce and I have had Periwinkle since '96. The previous owner was in the process of moving from a rented place to a new house with no offers at the price he was asking. Given the unfinished state of the boat, it nearly got chopped up. Going into the project I knew the boat needed the following:

new engine (inboard or outboard, we hadn't decided at the time)
    major deck recore - the foredeck was a swollen mass of spray-in-foam, water, rotten balsa and tile-grout (no kidding)
    the coach roof was full of water on the port side
    rudder was in three pieces
    the boat needed a complete electrical & plumbing replacement
    there was also some visible keel damage masked by bondo

Here is what the boat looked like on delivery day:
    Attached Images  

The recore of the decks and coach roof was the first priority (after chasing out the critters). Sorry I don't have pictures of the demolition phase, it was a bit to dusty to think about using a good camera. The foredeck was reassembled from the Inside (only because the upper skin of that section of deck was the least damaged). Clamping pressure (from inside the V-berth) was afforded throught the liberal use of drywall screws. While the core and inner skin were curing the boat looked like a pin cushion...

The coach roof & side decks were far easier since they were addressed from above.

Here's the new deck ready for some paint:
    Attached Images    

I love seeing an ole boat saved!! Looks like you had your hands full.Any pics of the restoration?? From the ariel shot , it looks like it was all worth it.How long did it take??What mods,if any inside?? Thanks for the 'before' pics...helps some of us realize we are not the only crazy people out there.

after the top side was complete, the demolition party moved to the keel.

Under the old bondo, there was evidence of several collisions with the bottom and maybe two trips to the beach.

One interesting problem that may show up in other boats is a 1" gap I found between the ballast and the bottom of the keel. This appeared to be one of the reasons #231 had a large number of fractures and repairs to the bottom of the keel. The air gap may have resulted in damage every time #231 was hauled out and placed on blocks.

During the overhaul, the void below the ballast was filled with mat and epoxy. The damage from the mid-point of the ballast aft to the rudder was reglassed in matt & roving to just a wee' bit heftier than original.

below that image is the leading edge of the keel (after the bondo-ectomy)... this too was repaired with mat & roving to the original dimensions

last is an image of the final stage in the keel demolition...
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-05-2005 at 05:13 PM.

In this timeframe a new beam under the mast step was fabricated (in white oak) and the V-berth was repainted. The main cabin however left a bit to the imagination...
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-05-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frank durant
    I love seeing an ole boat saved!! Looks like you had your hands full.Any pics of the restoration?? From the ariel shot , it looks like it was all worth it.How long did it take??What mods,if any inside?? Thanks for the 'before' pics...helps some of us realize we are not the only crazy people out there.
    I had a lot of help from friends and family (we all kept track of hours in a construction log book) the rough answer is 2000hrs start to finish (and I vowed never to add up the receipts)

I lucked into a used Westerbeke 20B2 that had two seasons of use. The big question was how to get it up in the air and onto the engine beds without a crane. The answer was a come-a-long, a couple of pulleys, four jack stands and a whole bunch of ubolts and threaded rod....

This was easter sunday '97, 12 calendar months from delivery.
    Attached Images  

this was the easy part. Cutless bearing install, Shaft installation & alignment and the remainder of the electrical work dragged on till mid summer...
    Attached Images  

First launch day... mid august 97... we've got new running rigging, we've restiched the sails. Time to rig the boat for the trip to the ramp.

best of all the registration is finally sorted out..

I've since changed the depth sounder, but you can see the transducer for the original electro mechanical sounder. needless to say, after nearly 40 years it didn't work (maybe that explains the history of keel damage)
    Attached Images  

off to the boat yard....
    Attached Images  

Ok that was a couple of years back what has happened since? new sails (very happy with a set from www.cruisingdirect.com), new standing rigging, a furler (Schaefer 750). a repaint and the removal of the outboard well...

Here's what Periwinkle looks like today:
    Attached Images  

lets start the tour in the cockpit..

While I don't mind doing varnish, I prefer to make it last a couple of years. Hence everything that is varnished gets a cover....
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-04-2005 at 04:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread