+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Large Portlights

Bill

Where I have an earlier model. He would have the pattern for it?

John

bling bling all same size

My Vanguard large portlights are the same. Originally chrom plated bronze, now after replacing the "glass" they are bare bronze. I haven't seen any ss portlights in other Vanguards, either.

Fred

The project is still progressing (slowly)... here are the frames in the process of being sanded and drilled...

I still hope to mount them early january (as long as my other projects & work allow)
    Attached Images  

Bill,
    The extra bulk makes those bronze frames of yours look really strong!
    And strong deadlights imho are very important - that is a lot of area in those four windows - I'm seriously thinking about talking with Bristol Bronze.
    If I took a similar shot of the aluminum ones I have the difference would be immediately seen.

Keep us in the loop!

less expensive and faster solution

When the aluminiun was rotted on Grindel (ariel n°70) we have just put plexiglass milled capscrew outside, cap nut inside: cement silicone (for capscrew)and armed foam joint betwen glass and roof. we put approximately 25 screws for the turn of the port-hole and we have also litle increase the port-hole to increase the width of the joint. we have make that there is more than 15 years and let us not have had any problem.
    that changes a little the pace of the boat.
    we always remove the "liston"(i dont't know the US name for the stainless part which connects the hull to the bridge) and fill it with resin and fibergass and at last gelcoat.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by grindel; 01-01-2006 at 01:35 PM.

welcom aboard, grindel!

'liston' is a better word than 'rubbing strake' for the stainless steel 1/2 round cap that is screwed into the hull/deck seam on the Ariel. A source of leaking in nearly all Ariels. 'Rubbing strake' is a borrowed phrase from wooden boats and bears no resemblance to the inadequate metal cap that hides the seam.

Having no liston along your sheer gives #70 an updated 'modern' look!

Have you also changed the small opening ports for plexiglass also?

Beautiful boat and a beautiful set of sails!
    Last edited by ebb; 01-02-2006 at 03:12 AM.

She is a pretty one! Welcome aboard, grindel!

I like the stern pulpit, too - that is the first one I have seen which is shaped to echo the design of the bow pulpit.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

thank you .
    yes we also changed the small opening ports for plexiglass also. and we can't open it but the baot is aired is good. since this two modification(portlights and, liston) there is no laek in it.
    i was french and i don't understand " I like the stern pulpit, too - that is the first one I have seen which is shaped to echo the design of the bow pulpit."
    posted by epyphanie
    *the word in blue
    Last edited by grindel; 01-02-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Penokee Guest

Bienvenue Grindel!

Hello Grindel,

My French is not too good, but I will try:

The "stern pulpit" is.... le truc qui est fabrique du fer inoxydable, et qui se monte sur l'arreire du bateau. C'est le contraire du la meme chose sur le proue. Ephiphany admire ce type de "pulpit" parce qu'il repete la forme ("echo") entre le proue et l'arriere.

J'espere que mon Francais vous aidez!

--- Rachel

thank you i understand now. your french is very good

Cool bill@ariel231

Not to forget us here!

Avidly looking forward to detailed photos of your retro fit!

While slabbing on sheet plastic windows to the cabin is modern and 'clean' (especially the grindel installation) and very strong, the traditional aspect of handsome bronze frames is most desirable.
    Polycarbonate is the best choice for an offshore Ariel. Altho the French obviously know how to make acrylic better than we do - 25 years is an age for exposed acrylic sheet material!

Foam gasket to mount the windows is most interesting, makes for easier replacements as it isn't adhesive. But I'm not aware of a similar material in the States that would take decades of extreme range of temperature exposure and sun degrading - and still remain waterproof. (Foam EPDM? Foam Butyl?)

Imco smoked lexan lights in those substantial bronze frames would make a great combo. What are you planning on, bill?
    Last edited by ebb; 01-03-2006 at 03:15 AM.

to all:

sorry a theatre job has been occupying all my spare time the past couple of weeks...

my plan is 1/4 inch clear lexan. I used 3/8 inch plexi in the original refit. it didn't leave much room for gasket material once fastened in place.

more to come after next week...

Alyce and I installed the portlights this weekend... Our method is really the same as those you will find described on Tim Lackey's site for Glissando (Triton #381)...

The first step (a couple days before install) was to glue the lexan to the exterior frames.

In preparation for the installation, I had on hand a box of 100 10-24 flathead fastners, a couple of 3" 10-24 machine screw with the heads cut off (to act as alignment-pins during the installation and a box of flat washers (to be used during the installation while the sealant was curing)

The sealant of choice for our install (this time anyway) is a "Life-Seal".

The pictures start with the end of the demolition phase.... Removal required the use of a heat gun, several screw drivers, a putty knive, utility knife and a smattering of "boatyard vernacular"
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-12-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Here we are on the port side. All of the old frames are out and the excess sealant has been removed:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread