+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just for comparison - Ariel / Commander

Quote Originally Posted by commanderpete View Post
    I think the figures for displacement and ballast are something of a mystery. Is displacement empty weight or half stores? Outboard vs. inboard model? Lead pigs or none?
    It seems to me we've had this discussion before. According to Bill Shaw, the "original" displacement for the boats was based on an empty weight but around 1965 or so, the standard went to 50% of fuel, food and crew. [Or was it the other way around?] Anyway, that's why early and late ad flyers have different displacement figures.

As for the 200 pounds, any Ariel or Commander with an outboard setup got the 200 pounds of lead in the bilge to compensate for the Atomic-4 that was missing. I believe this was simply a racing accomodation so that the boats could complete equally. By now, of course, most racers have sold the lead pigs . . .

For an all up weight without crew or fuel (but with a lot of mods) check Geoff's Aussie thread. Figure is in Kilos . . .

Cool

Pete says -

“There is a definite difference between the owners. Commander owners tend to be more tanned and fit, from enjoying the fresh air, but walk stooped over.”

I understand and agree with the first part. I guess us Ariel owners are a little thick in the head. Stooped over??? It can’t be that hard to sail a Commander, is it?? …..ed

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Not hard to sail, but you have less headroom below.

I've gotten used to it
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread