+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just for comparison - Ariel / Commander

Hybrid View

kyle williams Guest

Just for comparison - Ariel / Commander

I seem to be collecting lots of images of Commanders as I search for - but ultimately am putting off till next fall - my new-to-me Commander. I run the collection in slideshow mode on my computer. Refreshing to watch!

This one was helpful to me comparing the lines of these two lovely ladies!

Kyle

p.s. if anyone has a clearer image of Commander's sailplan, I can edit this image.
    Attached Images  

Neat, Kyle! Good idea...

But don't you know the old salts' saying that goes:

"Never put off a boat puchase 'til tomorrow, if you can go ahead and get it today..."?

Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

kyle williams Guest
    Even old salt Ben Franklin might agree that two boats are more than any social worker needs. Let's unload this scow, eh? KW needs burlier as well as classier transport on Lake Michigan.
    Attached Images  

Kyle - You should post that one over at the Trailer Sailor classifieds - lots of folks there might want that boat. She looks fast and fun! I tried selling it for you in their chat room tonight.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

That looks like an MC. You are largely right about two boats being one more than is needed. I launched my MC this summer for the first time in several years, and only once got out to sail it. Was always on the Ariel. But then, for pre season and post season sailing, the scow is sort of fun - but not necessarily easy.

kyle williams Guest

Talking

True. The MC isn't a relaxing boat. It is a very active, crouching, hiking and holding your tounge right to make the most of the wind. I can't find the impressive picture of the guy water skiing behind it, but the boat can plane and so it can flat scream across the water. The MC (http://www.melges.com/mcscows.html) has a huge following and a very active, nationally recognized fleet here on Spring Lake (http://www.springlakeyachtclub.org ) A great boat for someone who enjoys lots of tweaking for maximum performance and specifically enjoys racing. I personally find that a little tedious... except the screaming across the lake part. I came into the boat for free, so "better than a sharp stick in the eye" applies. For getting out on the water - no complaints, but it just isn't really my cup of tea. Nice thing is that it holds its value and resale is no problemo. Look for it to go away this spring and a Commander getting my name on it.

I am not in concurrence with your comments about the MC. I go out in it when there is steady ,very light wind - wind that too light for the Ariel. It is also great for pre and post season sailing (April, May and November). As for the heavy wind stuff, I used to enjoy it, but now that I know no one would come out to give me a hand should I dump, I've given up that thrill.

+ Reply to Thread