+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cape Horn in a Electra

Cape Horn in a Electra

I just read about a Insurance broker ,who at 48yrs old , sailed solo-NON STOP from California down and around the Horn in an Electra !! That's our baby sister !!! Wow...talk about cure for midlife-crisis.

Although 48 years of age is the appropriate time for a mid-life crise, the behavior exhibited sounds more like end-of-life crises.

If you want to read an interesting book about serious voyages in small boats, try Frank Guernsey's book "Racing the Ice to Cape Horn," about the voyage of "Cestus", Lapworth 24 Gladiator hull # 21, from California to Uruguay:
    Available on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...18922162053000

Last I heard, Frank was missing at sea on another small boat single-handed voyage to South Africa.

More on the full keel Lapwporth Gladiator at: http://www.solopublications.com/sailglad.htm#links
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 10-25-2005 at 02:00 AM.
    Scott

Frank -

enquiring minds want to know where you read about this? the links, man, show us the links!

Scott - thx for the title tip, will have to find that one. Here's one for you, not sure if I mentioned it here before:

Journey of a Hope Merchant

South African guy builds his own boat from plywood, sails to England, does the OSTAR to qualify for and sail in the BOC (twice!). Good book, and the author happens to live within 30 miles of here. I plan to get in touch with him soon, if possible.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

da link

boss..boss.....da link...da link http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/ne...ape%20Horn.Htm should have thought sooner....EDIT...as I was trying to find the above link...I found this one http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...y14/May14.html scroll down past the 'babe'...OK ..take a lil look ..then scroll down to the note on this guy..I guess he didn't make his 2nd attempt.Thought the 1st article was a bit off as it states 24ft...an electra is 22. Now I'm curious to find more info on this guy.
    Last edited by frank durant; 10-25-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Nice lookin' gal. Too bad she's sailing on a Hunter - blech. Put herself right out of contention with that...

Thanks for the links, Frank. I guess they never did hear from him. He was right not to carry an EPIRB - he made his own choices, and didn't want anyone to risk their life because of that, and I can respect that. Of course, YMMV. He died while doing what he loved and wanted to do - and that happens to few people.

I hope that when I go, people can say the same about me. It would sure as hell beat faceplanting into a desk as your last memory...
    Last edited by CapnK; 10-26-2005 at 05:42 AM.
    sailFar.net

It's these hard romantics, few and far, who make the world a better place.

In my philosophy, you can organize all people into 4 general types - in a wide bottom pyramid.
    Most people are asleep, some are having bad dreams, some are struggling to wake up. At the top of the heap there a few who are conscious and have their eyes open.
    See Frank Guernsey somewhere near the top.

Maybe it was like this with Frank:
    " If we learn to let go into uncertainty,
    to trust that our basic nature
    and that of the world are not different,
    then the fact that things are not solid and fixed
    becomes, rather than a threat,
    a liberating opoportunity.
    Then we are free to savor what life offers,
    to taste the texture of each moment fully,
    whether the moment is one of sadness or joy."
    Carol S, Hyman
    Last edited by ebb; 10-26-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Thumbs up

He'd previously sailed around the Horn in a Pearson Gladiator, which is only 24 feet, and had previously sailed to Japan, Hawaii and Tahiti. During his 128-day passage on the Gladiator, he lost 30 pounds, gashed his head, and broke three ribs when he fell from the rigging onto a stanchion. Compared to an Electra, a Gladiator is a big boat with a much larger cabin.

I hope he is found alive.

Either way, my hat is off to him. Would love to hear the stories of the journeys he has taken.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    " If we learn to let go into uncertainty, to trust that our basic nature and that of the world are not different, then the fact that things are not solid and fixed becomes, rather than a threat, a liberating opoportunity. Then we are free to savor what life offers, to taste the texture of each moment fully, whether the moment is one of sadness or joy." Carol S, Hyman
    Well put. I'll have to add Carol S. Hyman to my winter reading list... Thanks, Ebb.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sorry to tell my fellow Pearson geeks this, but the Letronic Latitude article is incorrect. That was not a "Pearson" Gladiator. The Gladiator was built in Costa Mesa California by Continental Plastics. The designer was obviously William Lapworth. The flat top deck molding somewhat resembles the later Lapworth designed Cal 25. The Gladiator had 2050 lead in its deep (4 foot draft) modified full keel with a total displacement of 4500 lb. If you see one out of water, you will be impressed. You will recall that in 1965, sixteen-year old Robin Lee Graham began a solo around-the-world voyage from San Pedro, California, in his twenty-four foot sloop, the Lapworth 24, "Dove." The Gladiator hull is identical to that in the Lapworth 24 (cruising model) used by Graham. Five years and 33,000 miles later, Graham had accomplished what few had dared to attempt. That journey was well documented in the pages of National Geographic Magazine, and later in Graham's own book, "Dove".

Although he completed the last leg of his voyage in a larger Luders 33, Robin Lee Graham sailed three-quarters of the way around the world in a twenty-four foot boat without a two way radio, and without SatNav, GPS, Loran, EPIRB, or even a real life raft. That boat was the sister of the Lapworth 24 Gladiator. The hulls are the same, but "" was the trunk cabin or cruising version of the Lapworth 24, and the Gladiator was the raised deck model.

Frank Guernsey sailed his Lapworth 24 Gladiator, hull #21 "Cestus" from Redondo Beach, California to Punta del Este, Uruguay, via Cape Horn on a 128-day non stop voyage with no motor. The story of his voyage is told in the book referenced on my earlier post. That book is available on Amazon.com

Like John Neal's "Log of The Mahina", Frank Guersey's "Racing the Ice to Cape Horn" is a very personal story, and it is well worth reading. The book provides much insight into the mind and soul of a single-hander on an incredible voyage in a very small boat. Sad that he was apparently lost at sea.

I created and maintain the website for the Gladiator 24: http://www.solopublications.com/sailglad.htm

I was privileged to obtain a digital copy of the original brochure for the Lapworth Gladiator from Phil Jay. Phil's father was the original owner of Gladiator #21. Phil started single handing hull #21 when he was 12 years old. He later met Frank Guernsey, who single handed hull #21 around Cape Horn. All this, pretty pictures, testimonials about the boat from former owners and more can be found on the above referenced website.

For instance, Phil also wrote:

"The builder put 2000 lbs of lead in the keel and I was told they moved the lead a little farther forward in the keel than the Lapworth, which made it go faster and really surf with a following sea. A couple of kids sailed a Lapworth to Hawaii from California in 19 days, as stated on the original Gladiator brochure. This was quite a while before the Dove adventure."

Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 10-26-2005 at 01:54 PM.
    Scott

Thumbs up

Scott...thanks for the info.It's all much clearer now.I first stumbled upon this while searching for info on the 'electra'. The 1st site I posted was a 're-direct' from another site that said..."electra does cape horn". Then while reading it ,it stated a 24ft boat. I figured something was wrong.Great adventure in any event.thanks for the clarity.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Very sad.

What have we learned about making a voyage like this?

22 foot boat? Too small

24 foot boat? OK

Should be a piece of cake in a 26 foot boat

My advice is to forget the voyage. Get a 46 foot Hunter and a girl like Carla

Quote Originally Posted by commanderpete
    Get a 46 foot Hunter <snip>
    Pete? Did you go off your meds again? Remember last time you did that, and they gave you the electroshock afterwards? Come on now, suggesting that there is *any* reason to buy a Hunter, you know better...

If it takes me giving up my Ariel for a Hunter - of any length - to get a girl like Carla, well, a girl who demands something like that has got to be just plain trouble anyway. I'm not bashing Hunters... , oh, wait - I am!

Gimmee a Classic Plastic vessel any day over these new lightweight underbuilt wanna-be-racer shaped floating condos! Especially when it has these sweet Alberg lines!
    sailFar.net

PS.....Pete.....I had a gal like 'Carla' once...trust me , the 46ft hunter is cheaper !!! I'll stick to my ariel and my present 'sweetie' any day PSS..both the hunter and the 'babe' will give ya grief in the long haul....both expensive , pretty looking ornaments
    Last edited by frank durant; 10-27-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Might I remind you guys that this is an equal opportunity forum? What you ought to be doing is keeping your Ariels and Commanders for coastal cruising and save your pennies so that you can buy a ride on Carla's new fifty-nine foot Hinckley Sou'Wester (pictured below) after she makes Captain and heads out for the Caribbean and/or beyond. Who knows, she may want to take along some experienced crew and a cook for that matter, and you might be able to earn your keep.

As to boat length and safety, and to quote a song from the sixties, "A hurricane don't pay no mind to who is gentle or who is kind." The same goes for boat length. There were a lot of large beautiful boats in messy looking piles in the photos after Katrina came to town.

In his book "Twenty Small Boats To Take You Anywhere", John Vigor focuses on a number of small boats. The Triton is among them, but the Ariel isn't. The Cal 20 is in the book, and so are some other small boats. Omissions aren't an indication of unseaworthiness, but it is interesting that Vigor's safety ratings are in part related to length (due to the relationship of pelagic wave size to pitch polling and other unwholesome acrobatic maneuvers) I presume. Thirty feet seems to be the magic number.

But despite that magic number, my guess is that that Frank Guernsey's Electra would have done just fine on that voyage, were it not for one big storm.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 10-27-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Scott

Scott -

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Vigor, in that book, describe the Triton as "the Ariel's big, ugly brother"?

JUST KIDDING!

/me ducks and runs away, very fast...

sailFar.net

+ Reply to Thread