+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Its Really Amazing

Exclamation Its Really Amazing

I was just looking at the slideshow on yahoo about the damage from katrina.I couldnt help but notice that even though houses and buildings were completely destroyed,I saw many boat hulls,although some what damaged,these fiberglass hulls remained remarkably in tact.Perhaps the housing industry can learn something from the boat building industry.Everything from motorboats to sailboats that have tons of lead ballast being thrown around and still remaining somewhat in one piece
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 09-01-2005 at 12:45 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Stacked up
    Attached Images  

katrina, one BAD mother!

Isn't that a Commander right there in the middle...?
    Looks like bacteria multiplying, don't it?

There'll be babies not named 'katrina' for a long while.
    Maybe we should give these bummers numbers - like 9-11...
    Last edited by ebb; 09-01-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Anybody here carry insurance for this kind of thing?

Insurance is bought and sold like commodities and has to show a constant percent of growth and profit. How's this catastrophy handled?

Does your BoatUS free towing still apply?

Unhappy

ebb, As you know my Commander was torn up real bad by hurricain Isebel here in Portsmouth, Virginia a few years ago. I had boat insurance placed by Gieco with some company or another. I only insured it for $4,000 plus a load of liability coverage. The insurance company paid off after some major back and forth, they even asked me why I had under insured the boat with them. Now no boat insurance company including Boat US will reinsure the boat because I have had a claim. While 80% of the boats at the yard were sunk or damaged beyond repair, my Commander is almost as good as when I purchased it, and in someways better and stronger. All I want is liability coverage incase I smack into someones new million dollar fish killing toy. I have tried everywhere to get insurance , and I'm hearing that boat insurance will go way up if sold at all in some places. Overheard someone at the dock with a big powerboat say it costs him $2,000 a day for fuel to go fishing and his insurance company may not write marine insurance anymore.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Sailboats under 26' can be insured under a Homeowner's policy for liability only.

That's great to know, I'll give it a shot. Come to think of it, that clears out some old cob webs, I did read something about boat coverage in my homeowners. She who must be obeyed has the policy in her office. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread