+ Reply to Thread

Thread: prop size and pitch

prop size and pitch

I have a Yamaha 6 that has a long shaft, but a prop that seems more appropriate for a planing hull than a displacement type. It doesn't dig in and shove the way it should. RPMs are higher than they should be and when I use reverse to slow or stop the boat, the prop doesn't have much bite on the water.

Any suggestions?

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Yamaha makes a high thrust/low pitch sailboat prop. Don't really know the specifics on it.

I don't expect a whole lot of performance out of the engine in reverse

CP's right, get the high thrust prop. And, don't expect an Ariel or Commander to back up . . .

Thanks

I'll check with the Yamaha dealer and see what he has available. I'll report the specifics when I get them. I've been using a Merc 9.9 sailmaster which has much flatter pitch prop. When I used the Yamaha, I noticed the lack of braking power when I came into the gas dock.

That was when I thought about the pitch issue.

The Yamaha is a great engine and I want to use it because it is a 100/1 mix 2-stroke rather than the Merc's 50/1. But when I gave it a trial, I was made very aware that I was not comparing apples to apples. The prop seemed to be the most likely offender.

The Merc is a good engine with an alternator and electric start, but ... the smoke ...

I've been thinking about the Nissan 6, 4-stroke engine as a replacement for some time ... I just need the right prop on the Yamaha 6 to see how the boat will perform compared to the larger engine.

+ Reply to Thread