Thread: Mount Pads

Threaded View

Mount Pads

There was a thread going around on the Triton List recently about mounting the deck hardware on pads to raise the mount point (and water intrusion point) above the deck level and any standing water on the deck:

I have mounted numerous additions to Head over Heels on mount pads....not the stanchions or pulpits(!), but just about everything else.
    I feel that sharp inside corners are places where dirt can accumulate, so I made pads, some as thick as 2 inches for anchor rollers, to raise attachments off the deck. The bases are teak, cut and contoured to match the part I was attaching.
    Each base was designed to extend about a half an inch from the base of the piece I was attaching. I route the upper edge for a smooth round over. I would then remove the nonskid a half an inch out from that. The pads were saturated with epoxy and let to cure. I used epoxy with filler to glue the teak in place. When cured, I would use epoxy and sandable filler to run a fillet around the deck/pad joint to create a smooth transition from the horizontal to the vertical. I usually use a West System stir stick for the radius of the fillet, but in larger fillets... Each pad was then painted, white in my case.
    The result is a pad which has a smooth, rounded transition from the deck to the top of the pad. The appliance I attached was then centered and through bolted for a clean and hopefully "factory-like" finish.
    Here are the pictures Rob Squire sent out. Thanks Rob!

Anyone else done this? As I'm gearing up for my recore, this is something I'm certainly going to consider! Simple and elegant - great idea!
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by mbd; 08-05-2005 at 07:54 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)