+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electronics Box

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Electronics Box

Saw this interesting modification on a Triton for sale.

If you were planning to organize a bunch of electronics, could make a cleaner look instead of a jumble
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I think I'd like to see something smaller.
    Attached Images  

This is more like it

Triton "All Ways"
    Attached Images  

That's alot of goodies
    Attached Images  

Designwise (in photo #2) if the long corner had been rounded it might have been less massive appearing. Contrast light painted surfaces with all varnished wood that make for a dark, even depressing interior. A little less fat and some mahogany accents would make the box less vendee-globe looking and more shippy. Not edge trimming something and softening edges can make a volume more amorphous, as the photo suggests.

Making a small boat seem more spacious inside is a real problem. Don't know how many hundreds of small boat photos I've seen on the Yachtworld pages mostly where the main bulkhead is the most oppressive feature in nearly all interiors. An all white molded interior that modern small boats have is just as bad. Of course, if you have a larger space you slap some teak all over the place.

Aren't there some electronics, depth sounder, gps/plotter, radar, that help the helmsman by being swung out on arms to be viewed from the cockpit? Is this a good idea? That might be a good reason to mount instruments on the vulnerable side of the entrance like that.

While the grand piano look of All Ways impresses the hell out of me, you'd have to have a whole lot of indirect lighting inside an A/C to keep a dark all varnished interior from becoming a coffin. I'm for 'white' surfaces with careful fiddles and slim trim.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-21-2005 at 03:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread