+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: An Embarrassing Story

She looks good, Bill. As a matter of fact, I was thinking to myself, why does Bill's boat look so good painted yellow when so many others...well...don't.

There's a triton painted the same shades and colors as the Jamacan (correct my spelling) flag and it pulls that off rather nicely too.

Good luck this wekend

Bill - did they put the new pulpit on after she was launched, or are my eyes that messed up that I can't see it in the hoist pictures?

Either way - nice job, looks like it was done proper, and pretty quickly, too! Phew!
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Congrats on a timely repair, Bill. Maybe that shiny new paint on the leading edge of your bow will give you an extra .005 knot for the race!

PS. Don't forget to invite Ebb!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany
    Bill - did they put the new pulpit on after she was launched, or are my eyes that messed up that I can't see it in the hoist pictures?
    Your right. They launched the boat early so we could bend on the sail -- yard was unhappy when we started while the boat was in the stands -- That was Monday. Boat was ready Tues afternoon and I moved it to the slip on Wednesday.

Mai Tai's jewelry

Yellow Avenger doesn't look bad at all with the speedo pulpit. Is it stock at all? Or was it completely fabricated by Svensen's? 338's is bent a little out of shape.

Years ago, some time in the past, you used to be able to order pulpits and stern rails from Defender, not any more. Wonder why? Custom is imco WAY out of line in price!

Waiting for Mike to give us a demo! Problems I see is that Harbor Freight pipe benders ($70) are sized for pipe not tube. The tube has to be cradled exactly in the bending saddle. Otherwise you can flatten it. Besides who needs a pipe bender? So that's out. The other thing doing it yourself is scratching the tube, and what wall thickness. Seems that thinner wall could be used for curves, while heavier has to be used for straights.

I'm wondering if Svensen's has to use inserts in the legs of their pulpits for strength at the bases? And what grade of s.s. they use?

The metal shop at Svendsen's is too expensive. We used the small (independent) shop at Mariner. Same guys that did the winch bases. From what I understand, Svend would have been $500, or more, higher

I can't see anything more than a couple hundred. The job that needs to be done isn't that big a deal, and that means to do it right (perhaps a day at the outside) Get some WEST glass and expoxy (for the inside in particular) and the white epoxy filler paste for the outside. Use a Dremel tool if you want to cut out the actual break. I've had four stanchions brak through and that is what I did to repair them. But then, working with fiberglass is the Guantanamo of the boating world.

+ Reply to Thread