+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: access hatches in cockpit are they original

access hatches in cockpit are they original

Did Pearson have access hatches on the cockpit floor. Mine does I am guessing it's an aberration not the norm. Would you believe its a wood one dipped in
    epoxy with no gasketing.

John
    Last edited by Bill; 07-05-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Your correct, Pearson did not put access hatches in the cockpit. Ebb is planning for one under which he will place the battery.

I'll be adding an access hatch to my cockpit floor someday too - I barely own the boat and already I've been crawling around in the lockers to get at the engine!
    Last edited by mbd; 07-06-2005 at 05:27 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Access Hatch Commander 105

I installed an access hatch on the cockpit deck of my commander. See photo under jib track placement. Good ol' West Marine, I chose the slam hatch, it hasn't leaked, easy to install, can be painted and is of good quality and durable. It makes the space under the deck available for storage, I plan on putting a water tank there along with the batteries and sails. About a 2 hour job with the right tools etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lemasters
    I plan on putting a water tank there along with the batteries and sails.
    You may want to reconsider adding all that weight to the stern of the boat. She is already a bit stern low when adding crew to the cockpit and this does affect performance. That's one reason Karl put the water tank up near the bow.

I think that you are right about stern weight and design, I'll put the water tank and marine batteries forward. Sometimes I do take on water through the outboard motor well when motoring, not allways though or when under sail. Wasn't there some sort of plug that came with outboard motor Commanders and Ariels? I belive that my "outboard motor" Commander was designed to be motored out then sailed with the motor up and the plug in the well. The outboard motor well has two bolts with wing nuts for the plug . Do these plugs still exist and anyone have a motor well plug that a mold could be made from? I would like to have one for my Commander for sailing and to keep water out when docked.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lemasters
    Do these plugs still exist and anyone have a motor well plug that a mold could be made from? I would like to have one for my Commander for sailing and to keep water out when docked.
    There is a thread on the plug . . .

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...=outboard+plug

Maybe you can reignite some interest in producing some plugs. Post your question in that thread . . .

(Note to all viewers: using the above URL you will find all words "outboard" and "plug" appearing in red. That is because they were the search terms used to find the thread. You too can find stuff this way . . . To see the posts without the red highligts, go to the thread directly -- a new post has brought it to the top of the tech forum.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-08-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Plug

There are pictures in the gallery.

John

plug for plug

Someone with just a bit of experience with polyester or epoxy would find making a plug for the well an easy project. The boat would probably have to be out of the water to tape the bottom closed to get the shape. There are probably 10 different ways to do it.

I would thought you could cut a piece of foam with an exacto knife to get the shape and work it from there.

John
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2005 at 10:46 PM.

Looks like I'm going to be installing an access hatch sooner rather than later. I've got a leaking stern tube and can't get at it.

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of the cockpit floor so I can size a hatch? Also, any recommendations on brands?
    Mike

You probably need a long and narrow one and you have to watch out for
    the support frame. I wanted to change my piece of junk for a Bomar
    or something and found that I have to replace the frame holding the cockpit deck.

John

John, any idea what the width of your current hatch is, or better yet, your cockpit floor? I haven't been able to get down to the boat yet and Saturday AM we're installing it, a hatch - or something - or maybe just cutting a hole in the cockpit...

Mike

PS. A Bomar sounds nice, but $300 or so doesn't! Yeow!
    Mike

No kidding!
    Yer getting the famous Tim Lackey to work on yer boat?
    Get some photos.

As you may know, 338 is getting a huge s.s. hatch in the cockpit floor.
    It's been so long, can hardly remember, at least half the area, sits in
    nearly flush, and like a bomar depends on pressure on a half round gasket for waterproofing. The unhinged lid is held in with cams. When I asked the salesman (probably the owner) if his 'off brand' hatch didn't leak, he said nearly all the commercial boats his product was aimed at have bilge pumps! Figured I could throw some rubber sheet over the thing to slow the deluge. We'll see.

Framing for any hatch and the angled section of the hatch flange should add substantial rigidity to our cockpit floor.

Adding.....If the use of the hole is also for stowage, imco framing down to the hull to create a 'box' frame could eliminate any flex in the floor of the cockpit. Someone here has been worried about the piece of plywood Pearson jammed in athwartship under the cockpit.
    Almost anything else would be an improvement and gain you access to the rudder tube.
    Think of the huge loads the cockpit endures, it would benefit from some
    compression beams across and also, with legs (if you insist on keeping the perforated masonite Pearson so thoughtfully provided) will help keep the locker sides in place.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-15-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    No kidding! Yer getting the famous Tim Lackey to work on yer boat?
    The honor is all mine. He also did my survey and did a fantastic job. And I can't even begin to tell you what a nice fellow he is - and very patient too...

I'll tell you though, it sure gives a wet-behind-the-ears rookie like me a whole new level of confidence to know he'll be there when we start sawing at the cockpit floor!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread