+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

Hybrid View

Carl thanks for the reply! Also, I was just assuming all the black floaties in the watery fuel I was draining was algae. I'll certainly take your advice for future use, but this time around, being that the boat is still at the boatyard out on an island and difficult to get to, I elected to go the "call the boatyard" route. I've been pleased with their responsiveness and have no doubt they'll do it properly. I'm just worried, as Ebb mentioned above, what the final invoice will look like...
    Last edited by mbd; 05-25-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Carl, that is a fantastic idea! I've been intending to do the squeeze bulb thing, but had never heard/thought of the portable tank. It'd help with my trim issues too. Very clever. Thanks!

Ed - hope to see you out there soon!
    Mike

Today I'm on the fence with the portable tank idea. It certainly has some merits, but so does a well cared for (eh hem!) permanent installation...
    Last edited by mbd; 06-01-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: edit for continuity after other messages moved
    Mike

Launch Day - Take 2

Saturday the 29th looked like good weather to bring her home. The weather report said 10 MPH winds from the South in the afternoon, and the boatyard cleaned the fuel system and pronounced Sea Glass 'ready'.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

...but the winds didn't materialize and as soon as I put the motor into gear and gave it throttle I started belching a black cloud of exhaust and trailing soot in the water. But the fuel was quite clean. The boatyard had just closed, so I made the decision to just get her to my mooring already where she was closer. Halfway home, the engine finally just quit. But the wind did pick up enough to have a nice quiet sail home where I tucked her in for the day.

It is high time for some TLC and proper care and feeding of the Yanmar anyway, which I'll deal with this season. Fortunately, I don't really need an engine where I'm located.

I was glad to have her close by and back home, and was rewarded Monday with a very nice and breezy sail out and around one of the islands.
    Last edited by mbd; 06-01-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Mike

Sea Glass at her mooring...
    Attached Images    
    Mike

Mike,

That looks like one of the Ariel's big sister ship Triton that you are moored next too. Do you know the owner or the hull number?

BTW, beautiful pictures!

Ray
    Triton 106 "Blossom"
    Alameda, California

Thanks Ray. No I don't know the hull# and have only spoken with the captain in passing. I'll make a point to check next time I get a chance. It is interesting to see how small an Ariel appears next to a stretched out Triton...
    Mike

Ray, the Triton pictured is Aurora II...
    Mike

Thanks Mike for id'ing the Triton in the picture. Here is the picture of Aurora II on Naitonal Triton Website:

Name:  570ta2.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  15.8 KB

Moored at Willard Beach, South Portland Maine. Notice Portland Head Light in the background.

Mike,

Is there a picture that shows the Triton next to an Ariel? Sure would love to see that.

comparison

As I've said before
    it'll be like comnparing Marylin Monroe with Jamie Lee Curtis.....

Ebb, by growing up in the Deep South I have always had a keen eye for women and for horses and a comparison of those two is a match race. It just depends upon where you are and how frisky they are when you do see them but know this and it's a guarantee: both are show ponies and they'll break your heart if you let them. I still like seeing comparative pictures though, lol.

...from post #299. Not exactly side-by-side. A little deceptive because I'm farther out in the mooring field, and perhaps the darker hull makes Sea Glass appear a bit smaller? Although, I'm waiting for Pete to post the pics everyone would really like to see.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Well, haulout is next week. I've been spending my Fall sailing time clearing a spot beside the garage to store the boat. This gives me the option to store her indefinitely for *FREE* until I am able to get to the upcoming project$. (No more plans to sell her - looks like you guys are stuck with me.)

The season began with a webcam shot, so it somehow seems fitting to end the season with one.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread