+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

Hybrid View

Hey Mike,
    On the prospective winter project list... on the chain locker cover pictured in post #11 http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...2&postcount=11, I can't tell from looking at it - is the panel with the anchor raised or routed out? My eyes are playing tricks on me and I can see it both ways!

Hi Kyle, I see what you mean... It's a removable panel. It's got little clip things and a cleat along the bottom on the backside so you remove it and access the chain locker. I'll be tarping this weekend and can take some pics if you're interested...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Well, after some unpleasant news in the beginning of the year at work which left me wrestling with the idea of selling Sea Glass for a couple of months, then a long and soggy Spring which seems to have no end in sight, Sea Glass is finally back in the water at her new mooring field.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by mbd; 06-28-2009 at 07:06 AM.
    Mike

The sun poked out for a moment and the wind picked up just enough to go out for a short sail. I think these guys were just happy to have some sun to dry out a bit - they didn't even try to move, just watched us slowly ghost past them...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

I had a "full circle" moment as we sailed past Orca. She was the first Ariel I came across on the web a number of years back and the one that got me hooked. I even emailed the owner Ed a few years ago to see if he was selling back when I was looking for my Ariel. Now, I'm happy to have landed in the same mooring field as Orca and will see her every time I go out. Looking good Ed!
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by mbd; 06-28-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    Mike

Spring!

Spring has sprung! Hopefully I'll be putting her on my mooring sometime this weekend.

Picture courtesy of the Chebeague Island Boatyard webcam...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 05-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Mike

Congrats, Mike!

She looks great out there. That is probably the best use of a webcam I've seen yet!

I must confess, through the winter months I go to the St. John Island Spice webcam that look out onto Cruz Bay Ferry dock. Whew! That was cathartic. Thank you, Mike.
    My home has a keel.

So I headed out to the island this weekend to bring Sea Glass to her home mooring. The forecast was for 70's and sunny with a nice breeze picking up in the afternoon, thanks to a high camped offshore for a few days.

Sunday morning, my wife took me up the the ferry landing and this...
    Attached Images    
    Mike

Here comes the ferry...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

I'm not complaining. It did clear up somewhat once I got out there, and at least it wasn't hot. The item in the foreground, however, was a harbinger of things to come...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 05-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.
    Mike

The Yanmar ran for about 5 minutes then abruptly stopped. I have never been a fan of where a PO place the fuel fill - on the floor of the cockpit. A curious decision to say the least.

After finding lots of water and algae in the fuel, I diagnosed a failed rubber ring on the fuel cap. As much as I like my Yanmar, it is not a hydrogen fuel cell and algae is the wrong kind of "bio" for the diesel.

The sail home will have to wait. So I put the main sail on and called it a day.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 05-25-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: fix pic
    Mike

There are certainly worse ways to spend your day...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 05-25-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: fix pic
    Mike

Diesel

Apart from the fact that you have Sea Glass moored in a Impressionist painting....

Mike,
    that fuel tank situation sounds like a disaster!
    Visited a site called Diesel.com where I learned you have 28% degradation of diesel after 28 days storage in the tank.
    To keep a diesel happy it's like the guy who has to keep the plates spinning, running from one to the other constantly!

What does one do with fouled fuel? How do you get the solids out?
    How do you get the slime out, clean the tank, clean the lines? Can you afford changing the filters constantly?
    Is the station where you buy the diesel selling you good stuff?
    Man!

Just gonna say you can always go sailing! But looking at how tite and tidy and skinny the blue cover is on your boom... have you checked your mainsail recently?

Wish mine was in the water!

Hope it's not as complicated as it sounds, nor as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Hope it's not as complicated as it sounds, nor as expensive.
    Me too - and hopefully not a "disaster"!
    Mike

Algae in my tank, OH NO!!

Mike,
    I know this may be long winded but..... Once Algae is in your tank you have one of two choices, kill it or starve it.
    Kill it, you have to treat with a biocide, this stuff is very dangerous for you to use, think totally suited up and don't get any of this on your skin or breathe it either. This difficult for an individual to purchase.
    Starve it, All the water moisture has to be removed from the fuel and kept out long enough to starve the algae, I can't tell you how long that is , it depends on the algae, probably 3 or 4 weeks ( although forever would be good) Go to a NAPA type parts store and buy fuel additive that removes moisture, in ME anyone that sells diesel will have the stuff, my favorite brand is HOWES but any will work. Drain the water out if you can ,replace filters and run engine. You may want to consider a fuel/water seperator for your boat if you don't already have one. Keep your fuel tank full and use the correct amount of fuel conditioner for several weeks and your problem will be solved.
    I might add here a test for algae or simply sludge, drain some out of the filter and smear on a cloth. spray this gunk with a degreaser or starting fluid. If it dissolves it is just gunk, if the cleaner does nothing to it , it is algae.
    That's my "short" answer!!

+ Reply to Thread