+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

We got the mast up Sunday afternoon along with two others at the club. No major mishaps, fortunately, other than me pulling the unconnected masthead light wires into the mast when trying to secure the wires at the base for connecting later. I was so annoyed about that I forgot to connect the antenna for the radio...

Our "first trip" plans are not nearly so ambitious as yours, Tim. I'm just planning nice short day sails and work my way through the "kinks" before I head too far with the family. I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    I'm insanely jealous of your Summer work schedule!
    I worked at a yacht club as a steward and launch operator while in college at the yacht club we are now members of. It gave me a real opportunity to meet great people and observe many different life styles. There were those with the large beautiful yachts, yet they were too busy and stressed to use them as they were working too hard to pay for them. They would get used during the "planned" weekends when it was raining anyway so it was miserable for them I'm sure. Then there were those who had smaller, less polished boats that were paid for, and their work schedule allowed them to spend more time onboard. They seemed the happiest and I liked the idea of sailing a small unpolished boat that's paid for all summer, all over the place, rather than being a slave to say a $100,000 Cape Dory 36 attached to a mortgage. I looked for the best job to fit this criteria and fell into teaching. As challenging as my job is (and it is), the perk of summers off is unbelievable at times. Fortunately my wife works as an elementary school teacher in the same district so our schedule is the same which allows us to be together all summer.

We are still planning on going up to Casco Bay this summer Mike, and I would love to get our families together. I will certainly keep you updated. I'm glad you got the mast up with only a little annoyance. When we put our mast up last weekend I accidentally had the backstay passed through the space between the masthead and the spreader despite having checked everything before lifting. It wasn't until I started attaching the stays that this error was obvious. Needless to say it took some creative throwing, pulling, untwisting, etc. to work it back to where it needed to be without compromising the supports holding up the mast. I had temporary stays up as we reworked everything. It was stressful and frustrating that such a small oversight could lead to such a situation. We have ALL had interesting experiences with our boats and those experiences add to the lore that goes with owning one. Besides it makes for great beer talk down the road. I'm loaded with stories about things I screwed up, broke, lost, or put on wrong so be prepared when we do have beer talk
    Last edited by Tim Mertinooke; 06-19-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Mmmmm... Beer.

Keep me posted on your schedule. Weekends are pretty limited in the Summertime for us 9-5ers... And BTW, where the heck does N-I-N-E to 5 come from?? My freakin' work day starts at 8!
    Mike

A good day

The shakedown sail...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

...with my friend Scott. No genoa tracks installed yet, but the stanchion bases worked just fine.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

The family sail...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

With company of course.
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Smile

Tucked in at the end of a busy day...
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Glad to see you've got her out. I just came here to ask if you had been sailing yet, and I see that you have!

I sailed up to Portland yesterday and thought about heading up the river to see if you were on the boat, but decided to head up the ship channel instead.

She looks good in those pics. You must be very happy!
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Too bad, we were there all day. It'd have been nice to see you. Nonetheless, it was a good call to stay out in the channel. That's basically where we had to go to find some steady wind. The Fore River was quite "flukey". We finally just motored out to Ft. Gorges where we caught a fresh and steady sea breeze coming up the harbor, then headed towards your neck of the woods on a nice beam reach. Great day!
    Mike

I used to sail a 60 foot charter boat out of DiMillos, so I'm familiar with Flukey and Fore River being in the same sentence! That's why we decided to just head up the ship channel...
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Another shot from the first weekend back in the water. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at these boats!

(Note: The mast is stepped, the water tank has been filled, and the lead pig relocated to the chain locker forward (67 lbs), and she's still not quite sitting on her lines... Oh well.)
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 06-29-2007 at 08:39 AM.
    Mike

Mike

she looks about right to me (A-231 sits the same way with a 288lbs inboard and an aft mounted 12 Gal. fuel tank.). Is there anything in the aft most locker? Its a long moment arm from the CG of the boat. As a rule if I store anything more than a couple life jackets and a deck hose back there the boat squats a bit....

one other question: Where are you batteries & fuel tank located?

Bill
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 06-29-2007 at 08:56 AM.

I've only got my fenders and dock lines in the aft locker. The fuel tank is under the cockpit in front of the tiller post, which doesn't help. I think I recall reading in my Yanmar manual that the 2GM weighs in at around 225 lbs or so. (??) The batteries are at the forward end of the port cockpit locker. Those beasts are on my "someday" list to move forward. Also, I should still get some good ground tackle (chain) as Craig suggested previously.

In any event, a topsides paint job is also on my "someday" list, and I'll fix the boot stripe then. By then, hopefully, I'll have had more chance to shift things around, though I am running out of options. Not that I'm complaining by any means. It's good to be sailing!

So have you guys been out much in Periwinkle this season?
    Mike

The locations of your batteries and fuel tank match A-231. I've found that storing the sail bags forward in the vee berth helps with the trim too..

been off the dock 3 or 4 times with our boat. we'll be on the edge of the tall ships parade this weekend if schedule permits... If it happens we'll post some pictures.

+ Reply to Thread