+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

Great picture!

Don't forget about our rendezvous! If all goes as planned, we should be heading up to Maine soon after July 4th and won't come home until August. More details later, but it would be cool if we met up for a night on the hook.

BTW- I stock lots of good beer.

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing the Fuji.
    Last edited by mbd; 01-11-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Cool Maine Trip 08'

Mike, we are tentatively planning on leaving Newburyport July 7 and will be returning sometime around August 7. Weather permitting, we are going to start the trip one of two ways. The first will be to bounce up the coast doing overnights at the Ilses of Shoals, York Harbor, Little Stage Island Harbor, Biddeford Pool, Jewell Island, and then The Basin. The second scenario will be to do a straight shot from the Ilses of Shoals all the way to Cape Small, then on to The Basin. From the Basin, we plan to head north into Booth Bay, Muscongus Bay, and then into Penobscot Bay. I'm not sure if we are going all the way to Acadia this year like I want to as this will be my wife and son's first long voyage (four weeks), but we'll see. As far as the return trip, it may be one where we just try to get home in three days or bounce back down the coast taking our time. Again weather will play into this as will the crew's needs. As we get closer, more details will emerge obviously, but I wanted you to have a general time frame of when I'll be in the area. I hope we can coordinate at least one night on the hook together. There is a possibility that my friend in his CD27 will be with us as well as my parents in their S2. An Ariel will make it a fleet for sure! I'll be the one in a Ketch sporting a big grin!

Hiya, Tim! Once again, I am soooo jealous! A month off?!?! Why oh why didn't I become a teacher??

My plans for this year are not nearly so ambitious. I've complicted things with the addition of a new crew member - "Teddy". I'm hoping to work up to a week long cruise sometime this Summer.

In any event, keep me posted on your schedule!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

new crew

Your new crew is positively beautiful !! Will probably a great sail trimmer!

wE lyke yorr nEW cRewdoG its puRty -

moLly anD bUffeTt
    thE cRewdoGs

Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Heh! Thanks guys! I stopped short of calling him "crew dog" - that one's already taken. Besides, he has to earn that rank!

PS. Teddy sends Molly and Buffet a big "Grrrrrr.... woof!"
    (Translation: "I can't wait to pee in grass instead of this white stuff or carpet!)
    Mike

This is a great thread Mike. Everything from the 'survey' photos to the kids having a memorable blast. When you get the chance to read it begining to end its inspiration in a bottle for some of us. I don't know if I'll ever get that far North on the coast to bend elbows with you but South is surely in the plans. And yes, I do mean on the boat.

I just noticed in post #9 there apears to be light shining in from the cockpit lockers in the area of the foot well of the port quarter berth. Is that so or am I imaging it?

Any plans for what is going up front for ground tackle and associated equipment? Starting to finalize a sprit design here but not ruling out any other good ideas yet.

Looking forward to some new posts here.

Hiya Tony,

Long time no pics! (hint hint)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I just noticed in post #9 there apears to be light shining in from the cockpit lockers in the area of the foot well of the port quarter berth. Is that so or am I imaging it?
    Nope, there is a hole cut through the bulkhead there - a POs mod. I intend on filling it when the time comes to better separate the cabin from the engine compartment. But, it has come in handy when dealing with the batteries. (The squirrel from last year appreciated it too...)

Nothing special at all with my ground tackle, something I'll need to address this Summer.

It was kind of fun rereading the thread. I've been in a serious funk this weekend when I finally determined my overly ambitious launch date was a bit too optimistic. But looking a year back, I'll still probably be able to get in before I did last year.
    Mike

Launch tomorrow afternoon. Yippee!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

How did it go?

Pictures?

Hey Tim. No pictures, sorry. But, launch day went very smoothly, thanks.

Yesterday was mast stepping day. I took the afternoon off and joined a couple of other sailboats at the club to do the deed. We waiting all afternoon for the wind to die down, and it was 6:30 PM when it was finally my turn. I took the launch out to my boat to head in to the crane. I opened to raw water seacock, turned the key and with great anticipation, pushed the button to start the engine. ...Nothing. No turning over, just nothing. It ran and started perfectly the day before.

So, instead of rigging the boat my next trip out there, I'll be bringing Nigel Calder, Don Casey and Mr. Manual to troubleshoot my starting issues.

BTW, nice looking website! (http://www.fuji32.com/page_home.html)
    Mike

Good to hear the launch went smoothly. There is always that moment with me where even though I know it will float, I expect the worst.

I ran into a similar situation this spring running mine on shore. The throttle for my diesel needs to be set back to neutral in order for it to start. I would throttle down some and then turn the key off, then pull the stop cable to turn the engine off. I couldn't turn it over again unless I put the throttle back in the neutral position. I don't know exactly how it works, but it appears to reset something. Hopefully your problem is as simple solve.

Thanks for the website plug. Once I have more material it should fill right up.

Thanks for the thought Tim. I went down this weekend with your angle in mind, thinking I had missed something, but to no avail. Eventually, I DID get it going though. As a last ditch effort, before I started dismantling everything, I thumped the solenoid with a rubber hammer, powered up, pushed the button, and vroooom! Go figure. Looks like I'll be needing a solenoid.

Hopefully, the mast will go up THIS weekend...
    Mike

It's the old "hit it with a hammer" trick. I have tried that on most things I work on to no avail. Glad to see it worked for you

BTW-Excalibur Launch date is confirmed for 6-14. There was a 6-13 spot open, but being a sailor I was too superstitious to take it! The plan is still to head north on the monday after the 4th of July with Casco bay in our sites the end of that week. You should pm me your cell number so we can do some coordination.

+ Reply to Thread