+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #414

Looks like Ithaca too. I got so tired of the late spring this year that I'm moving back to Maryland this summer, and I have sworn never to live north of the Mason-Dixon line again. Good to hear from you.

cold

how long will it take for that big
    chunk of ice on your boat to melt?

winter has been kind to us here in maryland. let me know where you settle and maybe we can meet up this summer.
    Commander 5

Good news bad news

Been awhile since I've updated this thread.

The good news is that I finally got the tarp off Sea Glass and started doing some clean-up and mucking about.

The bad news however, is that Sea Glass will not be splashed yet again this season.

But the good news is that I AM sailing another exceptional Alberg designed boat this Summer!

The bad news is that she is not mine, but through a series of serendipitous events, I am now fostering a Sea Sprite 23 while I help the owner sell her.

Meet Totoro. A 1977 CE Ryder Sea Sprite 23. Incidentally, her decks were also redone by the capable hands of one Mr. Tim Lackey. Get in touch if you or someone you know would like to buy an excellent boat in great condition. Details here: Sea Sprite 23 Classifieds

Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That is a sweet little ride. Love the oars. Where ate the oar locks? An Alberg?

The owner made those oars along with an almost finished Bolger designed stitch and glue dinghy, which also goes with Totoro - unless I buy it and finish it myself. Oar locks are one of the first of the "care and feeding" projects to do. Feels great to get back out on the water in a pretty boat.
    Mike

Ha! Yeah, I saw that - it seems like I should at least know the guy being in the same town and all.

Update:
    So Totoro was sold last August, but the new owner still hasn't picked her up.
    What a fantastic and pretty design by Mr. Alberg! The SS23 is a really nice little sailing vessel, but tight down below.

...nd Sea Glass has missed another season. I've done a couple of things on her but just didn't get the inertia going to get her ready.

I have gotten some sailing in on a friend's Rozinante though!

Name:  Pic-08012014-001.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  137.4 KB
    Last edited by mbd; 08-27-2014 at 06:24 AM.
    Mike

How is sailing the Rosinante? I nearly bought one before I settled on The Princess.
    What a stunning boat!

She sails every bit as good as she looks too! We went out last weekend and I cannot believe how incredibly well she points! I think the extra sail area of the mizzen really moves her along deceptively well in light airs too. He's also engineless, so not dragging a prop through the water is a big plus too. Every time we go out, we just sail right past other, often larger boats. And I have yet to be out on the boat when someone didn't compliment her looks. On the down side, there is a LOT of Spring maintenance to get her ready, and the extra sail adds a few more lines to deal with. I'd think it'd be a challenge to single hand. But wow, what a boat!

The best part though, is her name: Ariel...
    Mike

So it has been a long time coming, but it is time to part ways with Sea Glass. She is up for sale and needs a new home.

She has been a wonderful vessel, has given me and my family many many cherished memories, and has always gotten me and my crew home safely. But she should not be sitting in the side yard like she has been. It's criminal. The diesel needs attention or repowering, and that is just not in the cards for me. So for someone who is ready for that challenge, she's a perfect fit and ready.

I'm very sad however - but it's not all bad either. Remember sv Totoro, that perky little Sea Sprite 23 from a few posts earlier? Well, as it turns out, after 2 years, the owner never had her hauled down to Jersey or picked her up. The first winter, I shoveled the snow out of her cockpit and put a tarp over her. The next winter I kept checking on things and she still hadn't left.

That following spring, as I was commissioning Sea Glass to sail her engineless for the season, I talked it over with my wife and said, what if I offer Totoro's owner a ridiculous price? Long story short, I did, he said yes, and the little orphaned SS23 found a home.

So I have been, and will continue sailing Totoro for the immediate future. At this point in time, with 2 high schoolers and their schedules, the smaller boat is just a better fit. So we'll continue on with Sea Glass' little sister and hope Sea Glass finds a new family she can take care of soon.
    Mike

Hey Mike,
    While I know that the time is right when the time is right... I hate to see you go! I've appreciated your input and insights over the years.

Well, Sea Glass has been sold. She isn't going too far. She'll be sailing out of the other end of the bay. Fortunately for her, her new skipper knows his way around diesels and happens to be a carpenter as well. Hopefully he'll sign on here soon and take advantage of this great community.

So thanks Kyle and everyone else who makes this such a great place to hang out. Maybe my next post will be one of Sea Glass out sailing with her new family! Until then, fair winds!
    Mike

Hello All,

I am the lucky new owner of Sea Glass, hull number 414! I know Mike is a well respected member of this forum and I hope I can earn my keep too. Many of you have likely never met Mike in person but I have had the pleasure and he is a great guy who clearly loves these boats very much.

I’m excited about her and looking forward to getting on with the engine rebuild and rudder issues that she currently has. We should have her in the water by next spring and sailing the coast once again. I’m a newbie to “big boats” and have only owned a small aluminum fishing boat and a 12’ sailing dinghy, so lots to learn for me.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to the members of this forum for already providing a huge resource of knowledge.

-Ben

Welcome Ben! Congratulations on your new boat!

+ Reply to Thread